Want to check my basement temps from my lap top

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fishnfever

Reaction score
IS there any thing out the that would let my keep an eye on my basement or refrigerator using my laptop? I will be able to do a few lagers coming soon in the basement. Yea I could go to the basement but my basement is a crawl space and its not like I can open a door and walk down the stairs. Yea I know I can buy those wireless thermometers at wal-mart but I would love something I could check on a pc.

Anything out there with out breaking the bank?

yes... a bcs controller can do that and a lot of other stuff...

You would have to give it a switch to take it onto a wireless network.
hmm... not breaking the bank.... that is always hard!

or a wireless weather station... several of them will take several bases. Not sure how you could tie it in to a laptop, but the weather applications have to have options for that.

I've used the Maxim One-Wire sensors for this.

With a little programming, you can put together graphs like this: http://temps.palarchio.com/

Wireless is going to be expensive, you're either going to need a small PC or Arduino down in the basement or run at least one cable down there to connect up to the sensors.

I've used the Maxim One-Wire sensors for this.

With a little programming, you can put together graphs like this: http://temps.palarchio.com/

Wireless is going to be expensive, you're either going to need a small PC or Arduino down in the basement or run at least one cable down there to connect up to the sensors.

+1 for 1-wire. I use the 1-wire for various items in my house (Outside, inside, freezer, keg fridge, lager box, etc). You can run them all in series on a single pair of wires (bell wire or cat 5).

I use the Digitemp software to read the temps. You can then use the rrd tools to make the graph. IIRC, there was a detailed webage on the Digitemp website on how to do that.

john

Thanks for all the replies and I definitely got some great ideas!!!

Back