Pellet hops made my beer green

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DHill

Reaction score
Now, before I get into detail, I have four firsts on this brew:

1. first time I've done primary fermentation in the glass carboy (I've brewed for 4 years using the same 5 gallon bucket with spigot from my homebrew starter kit)
2. first time I've used pellet hops.
3. first time I've used the Briess Pilsen DME as part of my recipe
4. First time I've used a brewers yeast other than Munton's

Brewed last night with a whatever-the-beer-says-it-should-have recipe and I used pellet hops because that's all my local shop had in stock. Usually I use whole leaves.

I usually use my glass carboy as a 2nd fermenter but I decided to oust the plastic 5 gal bucket altogether, so I poured this new batch via filtered funnel right into my carboy.

This will also be my first keg brew so I'm using all glass in an effort to make it nice, clean, and less cloudy.

Despite my best efforts to filter and clean out all 3 oz. of hops from the brew, my beer is awfully green. It's bubbling behind me and appears to be happily fermenting but holy cow it looks cloudy green. Is it always like that? It occurred to me that perhaps since I've always done my primary brew in a bucket, I don't see how cloudy it is until everything settles and I transfer the best of it out.

The color is hard to describe... kind of a cloudy milky green. My last batch with a similar recipe (but I used Muntons extra light spraymalt instead of Briess Pilsen) was a crisp gold with the usual cloudiness.

Thanks all.

I brewed a lambic with some 8 year old pellet hops that looked bright green, and they also made the beer a rather sickly looking green. It will definitely settle out.

Back