Farmhouse Ale - Anyone had 'spotted cow' from New Glarus?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snailsongs

Reaction score
Here in WI there's an exceptional brewery, New Glarus, who make a beer by the name of Spotted Cow, and it is a "cask conditioned ale...with flaked barley...and a hint of corn."......oh, and it is one of the best session beers ever!

...SO, has anyone had this beer, and do you think you could help me figure out a way to re-create it somehow? I plan to culture the yeast from a few of their bottle's.....

....Is farmhouse ale an actual style or did they just come up with that for this particular beer? folks, it really is freakin delicious.....it's their flagship brew (though they also make other excellent beers).....

You can call your beer anything you want.
Farmhouse ale is not a style of beer. It's got more to do with marketing than anything.

This is what I thought, but I thought I'd ask, because then I could look for 'farmhouse ale' recipes....:p

You may very well find old farmhouse recipes for beer.
I'd be surprised if you don't find any but it's unlikely to be like the beer you mention.

'Farmhouse ale' doesn't mean any specific style, per se, but often refers to rustic table beers; Biere de Garde and Saison were considered farmhouse ales from France and Belgium, respectively.

It's definitely good, but I wouldn't call it a Farmhouse Ale. When I think of Farmhouse Ale, I think Saison and it really tastes like a Cream Ale.

Spotted Cow is Ok. Their other brews are sooooo much better: Fat Squirrel (nut brown), Road Slush (oatmeal stout) Uff-da Bock, & tons more. Spotted Cow is just their most popular because it is the closest they make to BMC.

Spotted Cow is everywhere in WI and kind of a trendy brew. I like it alot, its great on a hot day. Its a good gateway for Miller guy into some craft, although Spotted Cow is still pretty easy drinking. It has a little more of a sweet/malty taste. I enjoy it and glad we have access to it. I do think sometimes us in WI take it for granted, I know people out of State that love it but can't get it.

It's a cream ale, as many have already said. For me, it was the highlight of living in Wisconsin for a year before I really got into craft beers.

As for a clone, Northern Brewer makes a "Speckled Heifer" partial mash kit that is supposed to be very close. You can look at the recipe on their site to get an idea of what you would need.

Northern Brewer's "Speckled Heifer" Is supposed to be a close clone of the Spotted Cow. I have made it and it is good. I have never had the Spotted Cow so I can't compare.

If you go to their site, bring up the kit, click on the information tab it gives the recipe and brewing instructions.

I use these recipes for inspiration a lot. I feel that most of their kits have been tested and tweaked before they put them on the market so they are a great starting point. I add or subtract ingredients to alter to what I would like to brew.

Added: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/spotted-cow-extract-clone-help-challenge-will-donate-25-homebrewtalk-80344/

Last edited:
It's a cream ale, as many have already said. For me, it was the highlight of living in Wisconsin for a year before I really got into craft beers.

As for a clone, Northern Brewer makes a "Speckled Heifer" partial mash kit that is supposed to be very close. You can look at the recipe on their site to get an idea of what you would need.

I've made the Northern Brewer recipe about 10 times, it's spot on. Actually, a little better than the original.

All-Grain MASH INGREDIENTS
- 7.5 lbs. Rahr 2-row
- 0.5 lbs Briess Carapils
- 0.25 lbs flaked barley
- 0.25 lbs flaked maize

MASH SCHEDULE: SINGLE INFUSION
Sacch’ Rest: 152° F for 60 minutes

BOIL ADDITIONS & TIMES
0.5 oz Cluster (45 min)
0.25 oz Cluster (15 min)

Wyeast 1056 American Ale.

I made Speckled Heifer once - liked it! Very good! I have a couple of other All Grain cream ale recipes that I have made since ...but I certainly may go back to Speckled Heifer again one day. Never had the original so no basis for comparison.

As for a clone, Northern Brewer makes a "Speckled Heifer" partial mash kit that is supposed to be very close.

Hrm, maybe this is my gateway into partial mash (I've only done extract so far). Spotted Cow was the beer that made me realize I didn't hate beer :D having only been exposed to BMCs and green-bottled imports before I moved to WI.

Interesting on Speckled Heifer - I'll have to try that. Just tapped a 1/4 of Spotted Cow and maybe once its tapped I'll have a Speckled Heifer to try.

Ive had many a spotted cow, and made the NB "speckled Heifer" clone kit, and can vouch that it is similar to the original. NBs Cream Ale Extract kit is fairly similar as well, and quite simple to make. You will not find a Spotted Cow-esque beer under farmhouse ale, it is most certainly a Cream Ale. Farmhouse means funky belgian yeast profile, not neutral clean yeast like for an uncomplicated cream ale like SC.

And +1 on New Glarus making other wonderful beers as well. Don't forget about Two Women and Moon Man, not to mention their many fruit beers

As many have said it is a cream ale but the brewer uses Wyeast 2565 Kolsch yeast. I love the stuff . It is because it not über this or that and has no big flaws, but is so drinkable. I live in northern ill so I occasionally go to get some. If yours turns out well then this will be my next brew

Make sure you use flaked corn in your grist, it's standard for a cream ale and definitely in spotted cow. German ale or Kolsch yeast would be a good idea too

I've done the Speckled Heifer partial mash kit a half dozen times. I mashed at 152° to 154° for the last few to add a little more body. Like it more this way. Side by side tastes tests others like the extra body also.
Most of my cases to hold 12 ounce bottles have the Speckled Heifer name on them.

Spotted Cow was my gateway drug into the seedy world of craft beer. My wife and I still love it and we get some every time we go up to Wisconsin. There are all grain recipes floating around out there. I made one and it tasted good. A little thin due to cooler mash temp. I'll definitely make it again.

Back