Addicted to Hops?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The first step is admitting you are powerless over hops lol. Not to hijack but i saw somewhere someone was selling hop scented air fresheners lol. Wish i remembered what website it was.

They are just as addictive as the other famous plant from the same family.:)

So, after hearing everyone praise the hops, I decided to give hoppy beers a second chance. On the way home, I picked up a 22oz Breckenridge small Batch 471 Double IPA. I have to say, the first few sips smacked me in the face, but after that, I've actually enjoyed it. I'm not going to say I'm a hop head now, but I think I can see why people would like an IPA. Once you get past the shock, they are actually pretty good. I still think I would like a bit more balance, but it's not too bad, not too bad at all.

there are a lot of brewing things that can be addictive hops are one, Ive had cravings for hefeweizen too. Sometimes I have cravings specifically for chinook hops. when I dont have any hoppy beers on hand ive even had to make hop tea to satisfy the craving.

Wish i remembered what website it was.

hop scented air fresheners

dsc02196jr5.jpg

Don't thank me - this is what i do!!

Not only am I addicted to hops but my hop taste threshold is really high.

The first time i had dfh 60min I thought it was hoppy and good but now I can't really taste the hops.

Hi, my name is Grimsawyer and I'm an addict... LOL, I remember the first Arrogant Bastard I had. I diddn't think it was really a beer anyone enjoyed because it was so bitter. I thought it was a joke beer, like garlic candy is a joke candy. I powered through it, with great pain. The burps where like a hop farm tingling through my nose. It was rough for me. One year later, after trying pale ales, then ESB's, goofing with stouts and other IPA's I tried it again. Wasn't bitter at all, and great hop flavor! Now when I have one I think to myself how malty and mild it is and I wish they would put more hops in it so I could taste them again!!!

I also think I have a problem... I drink the two hearted Ale and hop devil with no discussion of hops anymore... We made a beer named the Donkey Hop which has 10oz of hops per 5 gallons, and it satisfies my tastes...however I hope it doesn't keep going up!

Hi, my name is Grimsawyer and I'm an addict... LOL, I remember the first Arrogant Bastard I had. I diddn't think it was really a beer anyone enjoyed because it was so bitter. I thought it was a joke beer, like garlic candy is a joke candy. I powered through it, with great pain. The burps where like a hop farm tingling through my nose. It was rough for me. One year later, after trying pale ales, then ESB's, goofing with stouts and other IPA's I tried it again. Wasn't bitter at all, and great hop flavor! Now when I have one I think to myself how malty and mild it is and I wish they would put more hops in it so I could taste them again!!!

I'm gonna have to try Arrogant Bastard again. The first time I had it I thought it was the worst the beer I'd ever had. (no flames please) Time to pick one up next time through the grocery.

Hello...my name is gwood, and I'm addicted to hops. It started simply enough, a few SNPAs, maybe a Stone IPA on the weekends. I had it under control. I had plenty of money and friends, a good job, a woman who loved me.

Then one day it hit me, I was looking for Pliny at lunch, having three Hop 15's on a Monday night, maybe even combining the two. All of a sudden I couldn't taste my cereal in the morning. I was pushing Cascade rhizomes on my neighbors, steeping Centennials in the french press, dumping 18oz's of hops into a sixty minute boil, where was it going to end?

Then one night my lovely wife came to me and said, "Your IPA is good, but I think it could use more late additions of the Simcoe and Amarillo...how much did you add in the last 20 minutes?" I thought to myself, 12oz's apparently isn't enough for late adds and dry hop, then it hit me...SHE'S the enabler, SHE is the one that has turned my back yard into a hop farm, SHE'S the one who FORCED me to add 24oz's to the next DIPA.

I feel better now knowing that I can just blame her for my addiction as I'm no longer in control of my taste buds. I now live a life of servitude, merely fulfilling the role she deems fit. I truly love this woman. :drunk:

Hops are habituating, but not addictive. Saying you're hooked is just an excuse to drink IPAs, you can quit any time.

As long as you dont start smoking them i think your ok... i wonder what that would be like... its definatly less expensive then the uhhh... alternative (wink, wink, nudge, nudge)

does anyone know a stoner brewer who has tried to hop with the illeagle herb??? i would be interested if that worked at all... purely for educational purposes

Cheers

"No officer, thats not a hooka its the subject of my idaian history project, and of course its only for tobacoo products"

Gwood, where did you find this woman? I have the same kind of woman. She want's more hops in EVERYTHING. I found mine at the bar :drunk:

Gwood, where did you find this woman? I have the same kind of woman. She want's more hops in EVERYTHING. I found mine at the bar :drunk:

My hop goddess found me at a Phish show years ago :fro:

She want more hops to the planted this year but I told her that we'd have to rip out the grass, her response? "That **** doesn't do anything for us other than soak up water and collect dog dung...go for it"

As long as you dont start smoking them i think your ok... i wonder what that would be like... its definatly less expensive then the uhhh... alternative (wink, wink, nudge, nudge)

does anyone know a stoner brewer who has tried to hop with the illeagle herb??? i would be interested if that worked at all... purely for educational purposes

Cheers

"No officer, thats not a hooka its the subject of my idaian history project, and of course its only for tobacoo products"

LOL!!! "Weedmere Hasheweisen"

I thought I was the only one with a problem.. I'm glad to have found others sharing the same issues. I feel comforted to have a safe place to talk about this.... hmm how much hops to add to tomorrows brew..

I actually just ordered 4.5 pounds of various hops a few days ago from Midwest so i will have my fix soon lol. They are scheduled to get here on the 20th but being that i live near DC and what's going on around DC that time (booo) i kinda think i won't be getting them on the 20th. Something tells me i will still be brewing next weekend though lol.

Back