Session Beer = Quick Fermentation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

speakspress

Reaction score
Never brewed anything with this low of a potential alcohol content - just 3.5%.

Does the fermentation finish out much faster than something with a higher AVB.

It has only been about 3 days and it is really slowing down. I am using Nottingham.

My pitch temp was probably too high but that is another story - time to buy a chiller.

Thanks for the help.

Cheers. :mug:

Generally, Yes they do ferment quickly. I know of a couple session beers people drink (if kegging) in 2 weeks from grain to glass.

I'm a lush. Even the beers I hit at 1.067 I begin to drink within 14 days of flame out. Although they get tremendously better after 2 more weeks in the keg. . .

I think the yeast is a factor as well... Just pitched S-04 into a 1.046 stout on Friday night... By time I remembered to check it on Monday night (72 hours) there was no action. Just the remnants of a krausen ring. S-04 goes like gangbusters.

Yet another plus for session beer.

But, three days? That seems really fast!

Guess everything might be just fine. I'll wait till it stops completely and take a gravity reading. If it is bad news I'll throw in a new pack yeast.

Thanks again.

I think the yeast is a factor as well... Just pitched S-04 into a 1.046 stout on Friday night... By time I remembered to check it on Monday night (72 hours) there was no action. Just the remnants of a krausen ring. S-04 goes like gangbusters.

Wow! 72 hours. So you could be bottling/kegging within 7 days of pitch?

I brewed a CDA and pitched wy 1272 and after 3 days it's all but done, tomorrow = hydro reading..

In my experience, Notty can go pretty fast and furious.

The only way to tell if it's done is with your hydrometer.

Back