Had to happen, but........

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

parratt1

Reaction score
Well it had to happen eventually I guess but dang on my favorite beer??? I brewed my favorite extract Two Hearted Ale clone tonight and everything went dandy. All 4 oz of the centennial hops and and cooled after boil. Halfway racked into the carboy when I got that terrible oh &*%^ feeling. Yep.....Didint sanitize the glass carboy. You live and learn right. Gonna let it ride and see what happens. May the beer gods smile upon me on an otherwise beautiful spring day in Kansas City.

Dont worry, 100+ years ago there was no such thing as sanitizing and we could only dream to brew the beer they brewed. With a healthy yeast population everything should be ok.

I agree, chances are good that you will not notice anything off. Especially if the carboy was cleaned and you pitched a good amount of yeast.

Hey neighbor, small world. It looks like we've got an entire week of great weather ahead of us. It's about time after the 3 straight weeks of rain. (I might actually get my pool cleared up this week!) Anyhow, good luck on the brew!

For future reference, I have seen where others that have done the same thing you did, and realized it before pitching, simply reheated the wort and went from there. The aroma hops would lose some of their touch, but that may be better than risking infection.

Just wanted to say good choice on the Two Hearted clone. I made one about a month and a half ago. It is in the kegged and carb'ed up nicely. Very close to the real thing. I like it...

Dont worry, 100+ years ago there was no such thing as sanitizing and we could only dream to brew the beer they brewed. With a healthy yeast population everything should be ok.

Or learn to drink sour beer, just like your forebearers.

I'm inclined to agree that the odds are in your favor.

Well I figure if it is bad, then I have no one to blame but me. I have a keg of Newcastle that I have had for about 3 months now so far that was fermented too warm that tastes a whole lot like malt vinegar that I keep hoping will mellow out. Gonna leave it be till I need the keg! LOL Anyway.....Just took a look and it has a beautiful snow white krausen and is bubbling away in the dirty carboy! Cheers everyone!

Well I figure if it is bad, then I have no one to blame but me. I have a keg of Newcastle that I have had for about 3 months now so far that was fermented too warm that tastes a whole lot like malt vinegar that I keep hoping will mellow out. Gonna leave it be till I need the keg! LOL Anyway.....Just took a look and it has a beautiful snow white krausen and is bubbling away in the dirty carboy! Cheers everyone!

I would say if you have some lovely krausen with no off-smells, that there is a 95% chance your beer will be tasty to most palates...

...and I am a scientist! ;)

I think your only REAL issue is if it tastes better than the last batch you brewed... :)

Good luck!

I did the same thing recently. Racked my brown ale to an unsanitized secondary after primary fermentation completed. Been in there for a week and a half with no issues. You're probably OK.

I have done every bad thing you are told will kill your beer without a NOTICEABLE infection. I don't say that with pride however. Note the emphasis - my guess is that if I let some of those beers sit a while I might see some of the slower growing bugs take hold so I take care to kill those batches with haste :drunk:

So I agree with your plan to keep on keepin' on with this batch and then try not to do it again. I don't let my good luck so far keep me from trying to keep things sanitary as possible but I also don't let mistakes freak me out anymore.

ok........Once again it is what it is but dang!!!!!!! I have a krausen that is with a wyeast smack pack american ale that has now made it up the neck of a 6.5 gallon carboy and is inching towards the airlock. It is a 5.5 gallon brew. Brewed this recipe three times now and this is a first. Other two just got a 2 to 3" krausen and that was that. Oh well...........I bet this is going to be my best brew ever!!!!!
Cheers everyone.........P.S. Sierra Nevada Bigfoot Ale is awesome! And KCBREWER I dont know if you heard but bubbles liquor on Noland is going out of business. Heard it from the owner yeaterday. Sad

And KCBREWER I dont know if you heard but bubbles liquor on Noland is going out of business. Heard it from the owner yeaterday. Sad

I hadn't heard that yet. Bubbles is just around the corner from me. I haven't been there for some time, but when I used to keep my kegerator flowing that was where I exchanged my kegs at, until I found out HyVee was quite a bit cheaper anyway. Is it a lack of business? Or just quitting?

I did something similar 3 weeks ago. Just got a brand new bottling bucket, so I figured it's a perfect time to bottle my oatmeal stout. Rinsed the whole thing, filled to the 2 gallon mark with sanitizer, threw in hoses and tools, let sani run through the spigot, and started sanitizing bottles and TAD bottles. Then halfway through racking to bottling bucket, I realized I never shook the bucket , so I only sanitized up to the 2 gallon mark. IM drinkin that sucka right now and it's all good.

Back