Gelatin conundrum

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

McCuckerson

Reaction score
I brewed my 7th AG batch this weekend and I think I am getting a good process together (finally boiled without the lid.... maybe now the beer will not taste like popcorn!!!!!!!!!). I did forget to use the Irish Moss in my latest batch which was a blond ale. What good is blond if it is not clear? I was going to try some gelatin in the secondary but I am worried about the adverse effects it will have on carbonation. I have read that it will reduce if not block any corn sugar carbonation as it removes any suspended yeast. Is this true, and what should I expect?

I'm curious too but I don't believe that it filters that well.

Did your beer really taste like popcorn? If so this is a good precautionary tale against putting the lid on.

I'm curious too but I don't believe that it filters that well.

Did your beer really taste like popcorn? If so this is a good precautionary tale against putting the lid on.

Yes, the cream ales and the ambers had a corny taste. Everyone said they liked my beer, but to me it wasn't quite right. I read that using a rolling boil and keeping the lid on does not allow for all of the flavor detractors to escape. I used a rigorous boil and no lid lid on my last batch and it tasted like real beer.

Yes, the cream ales and the ambers had a corny taste. Everyone said they liked my beer, but to me it wasn't quite right. I read that using a rolling boil and keeping the lid on does not allow for all of the flavor detractors to escape. I used a rigorous boil and no lid lid on my last batch and it tasted like real beer.

Keeping a lid on during the boil traps DMS which is something you want to escape during the boil. That is what gave you the buttery/corn taste.

Using gelatin in the secondary may add a week or two to your bottle conditioning time, but not otherwise adversely affect it.

Yes, what Biermuncher says about DMS. Another thing that I started doing to minimize all DMS is to boil for 90 minutes. Personally, I have not gotten noticeable DMS but I have recently started doing some more tricky Pilsners and Lagers where DMS can be a real issue, and I don't want to spoil them.

Damnit! You just reminded me that I forgot to throw in a Whirfloc into the batch I just brewed. :(

It's a Mild, so won't be as bad as a Blonde.

I have never used gelatin. How do you do it? I was thinking about giving it a try on my Pilsner to get it crystal clear. I already did use Irish moss but that doesn't work completely with chill haze.

Even without Irish Moss you may not have chill haze problems as long as you cooled it down quick enough. Also, keep in mind that gelatin will strip your beer of much of its hop bitterness and flavor.

Even without Irish Moss you may not have chill haze problems as long as you cooled it down quick enough. Also, keep in mind that gelatin will strip your beer of much of its hop bitterness and flavor.

Gelatin has no effect on the flavor of the beer.

Gelatin attracts negatively charged proteins and yeast, causing them to coagulate and fall to the bottom. Gelatin will actually enhance the effects of dry hopping because the beer is clearer of proteins and yeast.

I will use 1 tablespoon of unflavored gelatin per 5-gallons. Dissolve it into a cup of cold water...heat to near (not quite) boiling until it completely dissolves and add it to your secondary while racking.

Back