American IPA Dogfish Head 60 Minute Clone (AG) & Extract

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've gotta add to the chorus of thanks about this recipe, Yooper! I brewed it yesterday and it's fermenting away right now. It's the right color, the right taste, the right smell and I have every confidence it's going to be an outstanding beer. I missed my OG by .01, but that was due to my error, nothing to do with the recipe. Brew and learn, I guess! Thanks Lorena!

Whats the shelf life on a beer like this??? Lets assume I can keep it at 60-70 F. My real question is how long will the hop character stay fresh.

I was planning to make 10 gallons, but now Im thinking of only 5 at a time to keep it fresh???

i searched the forum, but was never able to find a PM version of this recipe. Anyone have one? I can mash ~4-5 lbs in fly guy's 2 gallon rubber maid conversion tun.

Any help would be appreciated

I have a PM of this going right now. First time I've tried this exact recipe.

Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Boil Size: 5.72 gal
Estimated OG: 1.076 SG
Estimated Color: 7.8 SRM
Estimated IBU: 58.9 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
6.00 lb Extra Light Dry Extract (3.0 SRM) Dry Extract 58.54 %
3.25 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 31.71 %
0.50 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 4.88 %
0.50 lb Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM) Grain 4.88 %
0.50 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] (Dry Hop 3 days) Hops -
1.00 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] (Dry Hop 3 days) Hops -
0.75 oz Warrior [15.00 %] (60 min) Hops 33.5 IBU
0.50 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] (35 min) Hops 10.5 IBU
0.50 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] (30 min) Hops 14.9 IBU

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge
Total Grain Weight: 4.25 lb
----------------------------
Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge
Step Time Name Description Step Temp
60 min Mash In Add 5.31 qt of water at 165.9 F 154.0 F

Adding the Warrior at 60 min, the remaining hops will be added combined over the last 35 min at 5 min intervals.

Whats the shelf life on a beer like this??? Lets assume I can keep it at 60-70 F. My real question is how long will the hop character stay fresh.

I was planning to make 10 gallons, but now Im thinking of only 5 at a time to keep it fresh???

I don't know how long that hops aroma will stay- I've had it as long as 8 weeks, with no loss of aroma or flavor, but I don't know how much longer it would be as good.

Ok so my LHBS stocks everything I need for the extract version, EXCEPT WARRIOR HOPS!! That seems from the recipe to be the main hop there is! Anyone have a good substitute?

I have all my supplies in order but I have a question. This is going to be my second batch and I am using the extract recipe. I have a 3 gallon pot and a 7.5 gallon turkey fryer. I would like a 5 gallon batch so which pot would be better?

I have all my supplies in order but I have a question. This is going to be my second batch and I am using the extract recipe. I have a 3 gallon pot and a 7.5 gallon turkey fryer. I would like a 5 gallon batch so which pot would be better?

If you could manage a full boil, I think that would be better. You would use the hopping amounts in the AG recipe, though.

Another stupid question...Do I start with the 6.5 gallons or add as I go to make up for evaporation?

Another stupid question...Do I start with the 6.5 gallons or add as I go to make up for evaporation?

I have a low boil-off rate, so I start with 6.25 gallons. You can do either, though. If you're not sure of your boil off rate, you could start with 6 gallons, and add more to top up when the boil is finished. I wouldn't add water during the boil- because you want to keep the wort boiling the whole time.

One last question. Whats the best way to airate 5 gallons.

Well, there is always the splashing into the fermenter method. I've used an aquarium aerator with a diffusion stone, and done the stir like a madwoman method, too. I like the aquarium aerator better!

Do you have a chiller, or a way to cool the wort fast? That's important, too. This beer is fairly light colored, and you'd want to make sure you can have a good cold break.

I was going to put the pot in a cooler full of ice water. Is that sufficient? I have an aquarium aerator but would have to pick up a clean tube and stone. How long do you let the aerator run before pitching the yeast should I decide to use that method?

I was going to put the pot in a cooler full of ice water. Is that sufficient? I have an aquarium aerator but would have to pick up a clean tube and stone. How long do you let the aerator run before pitching the yeast should I decide to use that method?

I don't know how quickly you could cool 5 gallons of boiling wort in a cooler of ice water. That might be more of an issue than anything.

I'd run the aerator 20-30 minutes, until the top is foamy.

I made a mistake in the hop schedule. I added the warrior throughout the entire boil not just first half. How bad did I mess up the beer?

This recipe sounds great and luckily my LHBS stocks Amarillo and Simcoe, so I'm driving out there today to pick up the ingredients. One question though - someone brought up adding DME later in the boil to avoid carmelization and overly dark colors. Will this affect the hop utilization too much and create hop flavors I don't want? I'm a little more concerned about this than other brews because of the emphasis on hop flavor here.

Thanks!

This recipe sounds great and luckily my LHBS stocks Amarillo and Simcoe, so I'm driving out there today to pick up the ingredients. One question though - someone brought up adding DME later in the boil to avoid carmelization and overly dark colors. Will this affect the hop utilization too much and create hop flavors I don't want? I'm a little more concerned about this than other brews because of the emphasis on hop flavor here.

Thanks!

That's a good question- I've never done it extract, so I don't know what the effects would be. It may be quite a bit more bitter, without adjusting the hops. Let me take a look at the recipe, and run the numbers and see if it changes it a lot.

Edit- it looks like if you add most of the extract late, the IBUs would boost nearly 30%. The later hops, the simcoe and amarillo, I wouldn't adjust- those are fine, because most of them go in so late. I'd probably reduce the bittering hops (warrior) to 1/3 of an ounce for late extract addition.

I'm embarassed to say tha I just had my first taste of DFH60 last week and loved it. Yooper, I am going to brew this tomorrow. I will use 50/50 domestic and M.O. or 100% M.O. though as I enjoy that blend for hoppy beers. Whatcha think?

Also...............Shhhhh......Freshops has '08 Simcoe whole hops. :) 1 Lb. limit.

I'm embarassed to say tha I just had my first taste of DFH60 last week and loved it. Yooper, I am going to brew this tomorrow. I will use 50/50 domestic and M.O. or 100% M.O. though as I enjoy that blend for hoppy beers. Whatcha think?

Also...............Shhhhh......Freshops has '08 Simcoe whole hops. :) 1 Lb. limit.

I did one batch with all MO and a pound of crystal. That made it way too malty and sweet- both the crystal and the MO, I think. So, I'd use the 50/50 2 row and MO.

I need to make this again- I'm out of IPA!

I did one batch with all MO and a pound of crystal. That made it way too malty and sweet- both the crystal and the MO, I think. So, I'd use the 50/50 2 row and MO.

I need to make this again- I'm out of IPA!

Ok, so no crystal at all in this; right? Thanks Yooper.

I haven't forgotten, by the way.

Do you think this would work nicely with Wyeast 1056 American Ale? I happen to have some of that in a starter ready to go and want to brew something delicious.

I just pulled the original recipe out of a 10 gal oak barrel, previous used for a homemade port). Best thing I have ever tasted...maybe some homemade pride in there. I used the dme recipe and dry hopped 2 weeks prior two kegging.

Matt

I did a partial mash of this and have a question...

After reading the last few posts, I realize I should have used Marris, but I used 1lb Crystal 40L and 1lb of 2-row. Is that a good ratio? Should I use more 2 row for better conversion? I came a bit low on OG at 1.062, so I didn't know if that was the cause.

Of course I also had trouble holding the mash at temp, so I'm blaming that as the main cause.

OK, I based off of this recipe, but tweaked it up a bit to "make it my own.." It's in the carboy right now and going.

1/4 lb Chocolate Malt
1 lb Crystal 40

6lb DME
2 lb Local Honey

Bitter 1 oz Simco 12% (no warrior locally so I took it to 1 oz)
Flavor 1.5 oz Amarillo Gold
Aroma 1 oz Simco
I also plan on dryhopping 1/2 oz of Amarillo because I have them sitting here.

Pitched Wyeast 1056.

ThoughtS? This should be an interesting IPA... I had fun with it.

Yeah I tweaked it accidently. I used 1 oz warrior for the first 25 minutes, and 1 oz simcoe mixed with 1 oz amarillo with a 3 gallon boil, so a little more then the scaled down version called for. Hopefully it is nice and hoppppy.

ok so i read through the thread to find the all extract version and thought i was set from post #27, etc with 8lb 8oz Light DME and 1lb Crystal 40 with the different amount of hops for the schedule. Then i see that mentioned the last page it was too sweet with crystal... or is that for the AG only.

Is the Crystal 40L just for the color and should i use amber DME instead?? I plan on doing basically a 3-Gal boil.

ok so i read through the thread to find the all extract version and thought i was set from post #27, etc with 8lb 8oz Light DME and 1lb Crystal 40 with the different amount of hops for the schedule. Then i see that mentioned the last page it was too sweet with crystal... or is that for the AG only.

Is the Crystal 40L just for the color and should i use amber DME instead?? I plan on doing basically a 3-Gal boil.

I think it was just in the AG that I found it too sweet. I think the ones who did the extract version liked it. I wouldn't use amber DME- that would give a dark color, and maybe a molassas-y flavor.

Why is the hops count more for the extract recipe
which should i go with?

The extract recipe calls for a 3 gallon boil which will lower efficiency. If you follow the extract recipe use those amounts unless you plan on doing a full boil then use the all grain hoping schedule.

Back