rookie question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wild Duk

Reaction score
I normally soak all my brew tools in b-brite, then I sanitize with star san. My question is, When I go to rack from a primary secondary, or secondary to keg, do I have to use b-brite on all of my siphoning equipment, racking cane, plastic tube ect. Can I just sanitize it with the star san and be done. Also, when you guys take gravity readings, do you clean and sanitize you wine thiefs, turkey basters, or do you just use the star san.

thanks

I used to buy all the cleaning stuff at the homebrew shops. now it is oxy-clean free and starsan. i always sanitize. better to be safe than sorry.

If i put away anything it is clean. When i want to use equipment , I will I pull it out rinse with water, rinse with starsan, and then use. Wash it and put away clean.

Oxyclean and Star San for carboys and bottles.

+1 baumgartner....anything that touches the wort post boil needs to be sanitized including tubing or wine theif or the inside of the carboy.......be safe and if you put away clean items they only require two minutes of starsan contact to be de-germed

+1 baumgartner....anything that touches the wort post boil needs to be sanitized including tubing or wine theif or the inside of the carboy.......be safe and if you put away clean items they only require two minutes of starsan contact to be de-germed

2 minutes is a requirement of the FDA, 30 seconds is sufficient to kill everything, or so says Charley Talley the guy that invented and sells the stuff. I use 30 seconds and have no problem with contamination even with beers aged for up to a year.

GT

Back