Autumn Seasonal Beer Punkin' Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
served mine up at a party this past weekend, about 7.5 weeks in the bottle...TASTED AMAZING! Big hit at the party, a few ppl requested to take some home. This WILL be brewed again. Great all around taste, not over powering on the spices, great fall beer!

Yeah, I took my batch to my next door neighbor's Black Friday party last year. Big mistake. Had to run back home 3 times to refill the growler.

Just brewed this a few days ago smells stellar hit a good OG and is fermenting great I'm wondering if anyone as used gelatin as a finning agent I used a wirlfloc tab during boil to help but was wondering about the gelatin and if anyone has used it how should I go about it this is my third batch I've made but have been studying the art of brewing for about a year before I brewed my first batch any input would be appreciated

Cheers

Just brewed this a few days ago smells stellar hit a good OG and is fermenting great I'm wondering if anyone as used gelatin as a finning agent I used a wirlfloc tab during boil to help but was wondering about the gelatin and if anyone has used it how should I go about it this is my third batch I've made but have been studying the art of brewing for about a year before I brewed my first batch any input would be appreciated

Cheers

I did not use gelatin, just whirlfloc and mine is pretty darn clear. I brewed on august 1st and it was clear by early october after being kegged for a month.

Just finished brewing my Punk'n! Used this recipe as a base but mashed with 4x 15oz cans of Libby's pumpkin and then added about albs of fresh pumpkin to the boil. Built the recipe in Beersmith and hit the estimated OG dead on!! i'll definitely post updates soon.

homebrew30 said:
Just brewed this a few days ago smells stellar hit a good OG and is fermenting great I'm wondering if anyone as used gelatin as a finning agent I used a wirlfloc tab during boil to help but was wondering about the gelatin and if anyone has used it how should I go about it this is my third batch I've made but have been studying the art of brewing for about a year before I brewed my first batch any input would be appreciated Cheers

I did use gelatin in mine. Only for 24 hrs (would have gone 48, but only had 24 before I needed to bottle)... Used this site for guidance:
http://www.bertusbrewery.com/2012/06/how-to-clear-your-beer-with-gelatin.html

I just bought gelatin from my LHBS (AHS, in my case), and used an amount per the directions. It visibly helped clear it up!

I planned on bottling today after 3 weeks in primary, but when I opened the bucket I still had quite a bit of yeast sitting on top of the beer. Gravity reading was 1.016; I was expecting it be a few points lower. I fermented at 62F with US-05 in my basement which is a little cooler than I would have liked, but without temperature control there isn't much I can do. The sample tasted like pumpkin beer and SWMBO seemed to really enjoy it so that's a positive. I brought it upstairs to warm up a bit and will take another reading in a couple days. I'm hoping the yeast will drop some more and that the gravity will drop a few more points as well. I've never used US-05 so not sure what to expect. Any thoughts?

Actually 1.016 is a great FG for this brew. Check it again at the four week mark, but I'd guess it's done.

As for the floating yeast, that just happens sometimes. It might drop weeks from now or quicker if you cold crash but it's really not necessary. Just leave the yeast rafts behind when you rack.

Actually 1.016 is a great FG for this brew. Check it again at the four week mark, but I'd guess it's done.

Good to know. The sample had a nice malty sweetness to it that balanced nicely with the bitterness. I've never been a fan of pumpkin beers, but this just might be the best tasting one I've come across. Looking forward to getting this bottled. Thanks again.

Not sure if I just failed at this recipe or my beer is green or what.

It just doesnt have much flavor, and virtually no aroma.
I mostly hit all my numbers (FG was a bit low), the mash and boil smelled great.
I am 30 days in bottle and crashed a 6 pack for about 9 days and its just not that good.

Wonder what it could be in my case? Its the first of about 9 HBT recipes that ive done and not had a wonderful experience.

Hmm that's odd....

What was the FG? Did it ferment super hard and end quickly?

Any chance of *Dun dun DUUUUUUN* infection?! *audible gasp*

Cheers
Hi ,

I just used gelatin in my batch of pumpkin ale and it did a GREAT job of clearing the beer. I used 1 tablespoon mixed into 2/3 cup of water. Let the mix sit for about 20 minutes to "bloom". Then heat the mix (15-20 seconds at a time) stirring after each heating session, in the microwave using a microwave safe container until the mix is at about 160° F. Let the mix cool for about 10 minutes and then slowly pour into into the carboy or keg. Give the beer one slow stir and put it back into cold storage for about 48 hours. Made a HUGE difference in the clarity of my batch.

I brewed the pumpkin ale recipe 6 weeks ago. Racked it into secondary after 3 weeks of primary and added gelatin last Saturday which brought beautiful clarity to the batch.
Racked it into a keg last night and going to put the CO2 on it tonight. F.G. was at 1.022 which brings it in at 5.9% ABV.
The beer has the most wonderful aroma and fantastic color to it. Going to bottle it this coming Sunday. Tasted a small amount last night even though it's still flat and it was GREAT. The spices have blended together nicely and it is definitely not a "spice bomb" which is what I was looking for.
Can't wait to taste the fully carbonated version on Sunday!

Question for the group. I am doing my first pumpkin ale and I've been following the recipes through many threads. After stopping at my lhbs, the clerk told me it was not even worth putting pumpkins in at all- no flavor profile. He said just add pumpkin spice at the end of the boil for flavoring. Is there a need or what are the flavor benefits from using pumpkins vs just the spices? Some of the recipes sound awesome, but can anyone tell me what is the best practice or opinion?

Jorge

Question for the group. I am doing my first pumpkin ale and I've been following the recipes through many threads. After stopping at my lhbs, the clerk told me it was not even worth putting pumpkins in at all- no flavor profile. He said just add pumpkin spice at the end of the boil for flavoring. Is there a need or what are the flavor benefits from using pumpkins vs just the spices? Some of the recipes sound awesome, but can anyone tell me what is the best practice or opinion?

Jorge

He is right in a sense. The pumpkin does not really contribute flavor to the beer. The spice does. On the other hand the pumpkin does seem to make for that orangey color and alters the mouthfeel a bit. You can sub in Sweet potatoes if you like and it will taste similar if you are having trouble finding pumpkin.

Also, if you go the Libby's route, make sure you get the pumpkin rather than pumpkin pie filling. They seem to put them both in the same looking can and make the pie filling font tiny and easy to miss.

I agree with Drunklejon it adds some nice orange color to the head and also adds to the mouthfeel. I was thinking about leaving out the pumpkin but I am glad I didn't. This is a great recipe I would highly recommend brewing this one.

I have had pumpkin beers with and without pumpkin. IMHO, the ones with pumpkin are decidedly better. I have made this recipe, and used the pumpkin. It is a good recipe. I would not omit the pumpkin, if for nothing else than the mouth feel, let alone color. ( Unless of course, you want to produce a thinner beer, which some people like.) Plus if you bake the pumpkin first it adds a roasty taste. You could probably adjust the recipe to replace the mouthfeel and roasty taste, but I wouldn't.

Senorsauza03 said:

Jorge

Adding the pumpkin is also gone add some fermentable sugars.

I can definitely tell a difference between a brew that included pumpkin and one that did not.

Jorge

As a few others have mentioned, this is a great recipe and I would most definitely use the pumpkin in the mash. It adds a wonderful color to the brew.

+1 to using pumpkin...

I bottled my batch today and the 6 oz sample left over at the end of bottling definitely had a roasted squash flavor note. Of course, YMMV... It remains to be seen if that note remains once it has had a chance to carbonate, but I imagine it will. I'm hoping it'll be ready for Thanksgiving dinner.

After having brewed this and tasted along the way. I think it's best as a younger beer . I don't think it needs to age too long. If you have good fermentation temperatures it should be good to go 4-5 weeks after brew day if you keg. The spice pumpkin flavors seems to fade as time goes along.

Two weeks in primary at 65 degrees F, FG hit 1.013. I kegged it with Biofine (even though it was really nice and clear) and a half tablespoon of pumpkin spice. After a week of force-carbing, I'm gonna cold crash it for another week before tapping.

Nice bready aroma and flavor, but getting a little harshness from the hops. Should calm down after 3-4 weeks.

I probably rushed it fermentation-wise, but I rarely let a primary go more than 2 weeks and I don't secondary unless I want super clear beer.

Haven't learned my lesson--I will debut this sucker at my neighbor's black friday party. He's cranking out some shine on his still, so it will be a good trade.

Just tasted mine and it's not totally carbed yet but great flavor I did add 2 teaspoon of the spice but great recipe

After experiencing a problem getting my batch of pumpkin ale to carbonate properly, I'm finally going to bottle this coming weekend. Maybe the delay won't be so bad as it is now 8 weeks since brew day and from reading the posts from fellow brewers it would seem that this brew reaches it's best after about 4-8 weeks. I guess I'm going to find out.
I'll let you know in the next day or two. ;)

I served this at our annual Halloween party and it was a big hit! Thanks for a great recipe! Next year I will have to brew enough to have some for Thanksgiving too.

First tasting on Sunday. Definitely overdid the pumpkin spice, which was a generic brand, not McCormicks or Pampered Chef. Nice and clear, but that over-spicing adds a cloying sweetish flavor that detracts. Bitterness is just right. Hope that it fades over the next week or so.

Heed the other folks on the pumpkin ale threads--don't overdo it.

I put a whole jar of pumpkin pie spice in my 10 gallon batch. Not sure how many teaspoons that is, but it's fine to me. Could even use a little more.

After reading through most of this thread I see a general concensus on using pumpkin. Has anyone ever tried using pumpkin juice. I know it sounds strange but I jokingly asked the mother in law if her juicer would juice pumpkins (had about15 of them still lying around) and came home to find a gallon of pumpkin juice and only about four pumpkins left. Thinking about a pumpkin ale but have no idea if replacing one gallon of water woth a gallon of juice would work well

I can't see why it wouldn't work. It should be that beautiful orangey color and that is most of what you get out of pumpkins (aside from stuck sparges). Pre-roasting the pumpkins before juicing would probably add a little something extra but you should get the same sort of effect out of the juice that you would from the whole thing as you strain the solids out anyhow. Give it a go and let us know.

I brewed a version of this the other day (added another pound of two-row and Crystal for an O.G. of 1.071) and man did fermentation take off. I watched it for two days and there was plenty of headspace even though the krausen was thick and there was a lot of off-gassing through the airlock (I use fermcap), but I went downstairs to change out the ice bottles this morning and the airlock assembly had blown off sometime in the night. There was still active fermentation and foam up to the brim, so I'm not too concerned about infection - I replaced it with a clean airlock which should hopefully hold the fort until the fermentation dies down a bit.

modernlifeisANDY said:
I brewed a version of this the other day (added another pound of two-row and Crystal for an O.G. of 1.071) and man did fermentation take off. I watched it for two days and there was plenty of headspace even though the krausen was thick and there was a lot of off-gassing through the airlock (I use fermcap), but I went downstairs to change out the ice bottles this morning and the airlock assembly had blown off sometime in the night. There was still active fermentation and foam up to the brim, so I'm not too concerned about infection - I replaced it with a clean airlock which should hopefully hold the fort until the fermentation dies down a bit.

Yeah man, mine went crazy too. Had 4.5 gallons go into the bucket and I almost had to do a blowoff. Krausen was dense as hell too

So I just sampled mine the other night and was a little horrified at first, thinking I had botched something up. The lady and I have suspected from the past few brews that we might need to switch from tap to bottled since moving to this new place, but then I double checked my math. Had a sub-par grind (first time using my new mill) and I went with a slightly higher AA hop (German Tradition)

Now that I've placed the flavor, I rather enjoy my 35 IBU "Pumpkin Pale Ale." Still has a nice pumpkin pie undertone while being a nice earthy pale ale.

I think I'll bring a growler with me today to ask the man if I can be his son in law....:)

HA! Yeah it's only an off-flavor until you figure out what it is. I'm glad it worked out... if I remember correctly, New Belgium had a hoppy pumpkin ale one year.

I think I'll bring a growler with me today to ask the man if I can be his son in law....:)

Congrats! ( Saw on the other thread they said yes) Did the pumpkin ale help?
So what beer are you going to serve her tomorrow ( with a ring in it, right?!)?
;)

I have brewed this beer around 6 times now, it's absolutely fantastic! I have found that this spice actually is much more flavorful in it instead of McCormicks if anyone wants to try it and can find it. I actually just recently did 2 batches back to back, one with McCormicks and one with this and everyone has has tried the both all like the other.
Just thought i'd pass it along if anyone wants to give it a try!
Thanks OP for the recipe, it's amazing!

photo (1).jpg

Brewed this a few weeks ago to have for my 40th birthday. Tapped the keg Wednesday. Omg. This one is so good. My wife is an IPA girl but this one is all me. I may brew this one year round. I really love the malt flavor in it. Thank you for sharing this delicious recipe!

I'm drinking my next-to-the-last bottle of this that I brewed in 9/2012.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f76/punkin-ale-145060/index88.html#post4439400
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f76/punkin-ale-145060/index89.html#post4441994
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f76/punkin-ale-145060/index97.html#post4494568

And here's my brewday for this beer:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f244/my-first-all-grain-biab-no-chill-356409/

I'm not sure what to think. It's probably that I don't really know what I pumpkin beer is supposed to taste like. I get a bit of soap. A lot of mine overcarbed. I think 2 bottles exploded early on. The one I poured this evening turned into a bunch of foam - that I poured into two large glasses and poured back and forth. By the time I got my little dogs fed and walked around the house, the foam had settled and I could combine the 2 glasses into one. It tasted a lot better once the foam had settled.

I will probably try this recipe again next Fall. Depending upon how I progress with getting an electric setup, I may try the Partial Mash version of this recipe that you gave in posting #3:

Partial Mash
6# Pale LME
2# Pale 2-row
0.63# Crystal 60L
0.63# Victory Malt

1. I'm assuming that - even for BIAB - you will mash the 2-row, Crystal, and Victory. But for how long? 30 minutes at the usual mash temp?

2. I may try "late extract addition" as has been discussed in other threads and add the LME very near the end of the boil while following the recipe insofar as hops and honey additions are concerned.

3. Instead of the McCormicks Spice - or another one that I saw recently recommended - I may omit the spice and prepare a spice tincture as mentioned by a Greg Muller in a thread on the Morebeer forum:
http://forums.morebeer.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=23534&p=231385&hilit=+pumpkin+vodka+#p231385

Looking forward to another try,
Keith

Back