Autumn Seasonal Beer Samhain Pumpkin Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anyone else notice when this is plugged into Beersmith the color is only at 7srm? Is that due to the additives not be accounted for? I am subbing out the Golden Promise with Maris Otter. Do you toast the whole 9 pounds or just 1 pound?

Natarch519 said:
Anyone else notice when this is plugged into Beersmith the color is only at 7srm? Is that due to the additives not be accounted for? I am subbing out the Golden Promise with Maris Otter. Do you toast the whole 9 pounds or just 1 pound?

Mine calculated higher, 23 SRM I think.

Only roast 1 lb of the MO.

I just mashed in. This is my first brew day after 18 months off. I hope I still know how to do this.

Bottled today. I had an OG of 1.05 and a FG of 1.01 using US05 yeast. Interestingly, it was 1.01 after 1 week in the primary.
Smelled so good! I can't wait to drink some. :mug:

Getting ready to brew this in the next couple of days. I'm excited, and the color looks perfect. I haven't had a chance to read through all 50 something pages (sorry). Any other recommendations on yeasts if I can't find the Denny's? I'm thinking either WLP002 or WLP028. Suggestions?

Cheers!

I fermented us-05 at around 67F one of my 5 gallons is fine the other 5 gallons smells really hot. Does anyone know why that could be. One is a 7.5 gallons and the hot one is a 5 gallon could that make a difference.

How does this beer compare to Buffalo Bills pumpkin ale? Would like to know because I would like to find a all gain recipe to make something like thiers.

Just brewed this up today. Wort tastes great - hint of spices, actually retained a bit of the pumpkin smell into the fermenter. Can't wait for this one to finish up!

Great recipe. Way better than all the commercial ones that are too sweet and have too much spice. Very drinkable.

ForumRunner_20130921_205207.png

Bottled today. I had an OG of 1.05 and a FG of 1.01 using US05 yeast. Interestingly, it was 1.01 after 1 week in the primary.
Smelled so good! I can't wait to drink some. :mug:

And it's no good. :(
I got some contamination somewhere along the line. It still smells awesome, but it foams a lot and I can't take a sip without it just fizzing up in my mouth.
Crap!

I will be brewing this pumpkin ale tomorrow and plan on using fresh cut pumpkin instead of canned. I will let you know how it comes out. I was able to get my hands on some Dave fav 50 yeast also :)

I ran out of molasses while making a batch once, so my batch had half molasses and half brn sugar. The taste will be slightly different that's all

Thanks. I brewed this beer today. Has a nice orange color and smelled amazing as soon as I added the spices. My garage smelled like baked pumpkin pie :) it is now sitting in my swamp cooled fermenter. This is my first attempt at all grain brew. I think it will turn out quite nice.

Does this molasses

ForumRunner_20131003_105009.jpg

work and if so how did you measure out .25 lbs of it?

It was a while back when I made mine. But I am pretty sure thiers a net. Wt. In oz. on the bottle somewhere. Just do the math.

Brewed this one week ago and followed everything except I used S-04 for the first time. Looks like it's clearing up decently. Went from 1.055 to 1.013 so far. I'm not the biggest fan of pumpkin beers (I'm brewing this for a Thanksgiving party) but I do really like the spices and the amounts of them. 2 more weeks in primary, 3 more in bottle. This should turn out pretty nice. Thanks for the recipe!

image-2657744323.jpg

Just poured my first(and second) pint of this. It is still hazy from force carbing and hopefully will clear up well. I added more spice during the boil with each hop addition. The spice level is present but thankfully not overpowering. The malt is perfect, nice body and unbelievable head retention(45 minutes and like a guinness) . The pumpkin is definitely present and makes the beer. I am happy I made a 10 gallon batch.

Thanks KingBrian! Another winner! I will post a picture soon.

I wanted to brew this this weekend, but couldnt find caramalt or golden promise. I got maris otter instead and I read that carapils was a good sub but i think i got the wrong kind (dextrine malt) and its already mixed into my grain bill. I can still get 1lb of crystal 10 and throw it in but will the carapils have an affect on the end product?

I wanted to brew this this weekend, but couldnt find caramalt or golden promise. I got maris otter instead and I read that carapils was a good sub but i think i got the wrong kind (dextrine malt) and its already mixed into my grain bill. I can still get 1lb of crystal 10 and throw it in but will the carapils have an affect on the end product?

Carapils is much lighter and has much less flavor that the british caramalt I use in this recipe. Having said that, using carapils won't create a bad beer, it just wont have quite as much of that caramally toffee flavor and the beer may be slightly lighter in color. If you could find a british light or medium crystal, throwing in about a half a pound will help you get those flavors and that little bit of extra color. But just going with what you already have mixed up should be fine too.

Cheers!

Brian

I found caramalt in the next town over where my in laws live. They are coming to visit tomorrow so i'm going to have them bring me some.

The idea of your imperial version intrigued me so I think im going to up my maris otter to 11lb and add the 1lb of caramalt. Hopefully it turns out.

I just poured my first glass this morning after force carbing it and I must say this is definitely a tastey brew. It's a little hazy but doesn't matter to me. It may be a bit different than what y'all be experiencing taste-wise as I used 2 cups of brown sugar rather than molasses to save $$$. It still came out great to say the least. I will be making this beer again next fall. CHEERS!

Has anyone had issues with carbonation in bottle conditioning with Dennys? This tasted fantastic going into the bottle, but after four weeks it's only got a little carbonation in it, and no head at all.
I primed to 2.5 volumes, stirred well, stored them at 68-69 degrees. I'm at a loss!

It's been in the primary two and a half weeks, and I think it's time to bottle!

So i did this over the weekend but had a few missteps. Like I said before I got 1lb of carapils instead of caramalt, and upped my grain bill by 3lbs of golden promise and the 1 lb of caramalt i missed the first time to shoot for an OG of 1.078. My thermometer was eratic and showing mash temps between 152 and 167 so im not sure where i really was as it turns out my thermometer was way off and showing bad temps even at room temp. My pre boil OG was 1.048. I accidentally added the molasses at 60 min instead of 10. My final OG was about 1.051. Tastes good going into the fermenter so im sure the final product will be fine. thinking of adding a bit of molasses along w/ vanilla butter and nut extract to secondary for a week before bottling.

Back