Getting a lot of grain husks in my wort

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ivypunx

Reaction score
I have a false bottom 10 gallon igloo cooler. Even after taking runnings about 4 or 5 runnings I was still getting stuff in the wort. I want to find a way to filter it with out getting a stuck sparge. I was thinking of laying a screen over my false bottom. What has worked for you guys

Unless your FB is outrageously big, not sure what the problem is here, the grain bed should be your "screen".

Are you letting your grain bed settle or running off after you stir/sparge??
You can rest a strainer on top of your boil kettle/whatever your running into as a secondary filter but this should not have to be done if you have a proper filter thru the grainbed

Even after taking runnings about 4 or 5 runnings

I don't know what this means. Can you explain? Also, can you detail your sparging process and what you're using for equipment?

I only vorlauf once. I collect about 3 quarts of wort, put the tube into the boil kettle and then pour the wort back into the tun through a spaghetti colander. Then all of my sparge water gets gradually poured into the colander.

I run my runoff through a fine mesh filter bag. Usually picks up about a couple tablespoons of grain.

I don't know what this means. Can you explain? Also, can you detail your sparging process and what you're using for equipment?

I only vorlauf once. I collect about 3 quarts of wort, put the tube into the boil kettle and then pour the wort back into the tun through a spaghetti colander. Then all of my sparge water gets gradually poured into the colander.

I do pretty much the same thing, down to the spagetti colander. I fly sparge after my runnings are clearer.

Unless your FB is outrageously big, not sure what the problem is here, the grain bed should be your "screen".

Are you letting your grain bed settle or running off after you stir/sparge??
You can rest a strainer on top of your boil kettle/whatever your running into as a secondary filter but this should not have to be done if you have a proper filter thru the grainbed

How long do you let your grain bed settle after you take your runnings

Has the bottom of your cooler warped? Grain could be getting around it. You could try wrapping your false bottom with a large paint filter bag.

The cooler and the bottom are relatively new. I have only mashed in them twice. And go blue

I use a full false bottom and and get some grain material in the kettle too. Usually around the end of my laughter.

I use a full false bottom and and get some grain material in the kettle too. Usually around the end of my laughter.

I think thats when I got most of it, at the end. it was running really clear for the better part of the sparge

My false bottom doesnt seem to fit flush against the bottom of the cooler and at the end of the sparge I'll get a lot of husk material.

So I just put a metal strainer at the end of the hose and that catches 99.9% of it.

husks in the boils is not a problem to be worried over since it has no effect on the finished beer. that said, there is no harm in worrying about it either.

I am not worried about it affecting the taste. I just want to find a way to not have it in my wort

If you aren't worried about the taste, and understand that it will just fall to the trub at the bottom of the fermentor, then why are you worried about it being in your wort?

If you aren't worried about the taste, and understand that it will just fall to the trub at the bottom of the fermentor, then why are you worried about it being in your wort?

There will always be some that come through the autosiphon on bottling day. The less I ave in my wort the better. I am always looking to improve my final product

There will always be some that come through the autosiphon on bottling day. The less I ave in my wort the better. I am always looking to improve my final product

ok, then you may have some other problem in your process. i'm pretty sure i've never seen a husk make it all the way to bottling (i keg but never had a husk in a keg either). sounds like maybe you are getting an excessive amount of husks in the boil that make it into the fermentor. it's hard to troubleshoot a mash tun from far away but you can run the wort through a strainer going into the boil kettle and into the fermentor.

Back