Chilling wort

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wesd25

Reaction score
O I'm brewing my second batch as we speak and since my first batch I made a wort chiller, was wondering if the chiller alone will cool the wort quick enough? or if I should put the pot in cold water as well? Also can I add the chiller to wort during the last couple minutes of boil? Thanks for responses!

What sort of chiller did you make? If its a copper cool immersion chiller then it will do the job without needing to be in a cold water bath. Dump it in 5-10mins from flame out to sanitise it and you will be good to go.

O I'm brewing my second batch as we speak and since my first batch I made a wort chiller, was wondering if the chiller alone will cool the wort quick enough? or if I should put the pot in cold water as well? Also can I add the chiller to wort during the last couple minutes of boil? Thanks for responses!

Chillers definitely help. Lately, an emersion alone hasn't been enough for me, but I've been doing 11 gallon batches. Actually just finished a counterflow chiller today that I hope to test next weekend. I try to put the chiller in for the last 15 minutes of my boil.

Add wort chiller with 15 minutes left . Then when using the wort chiller to lower your temp, stir the wort and it will speed up cooling time. Works every time for me.

I made an immersion chiller out of a 20' and a 10' piece of 3/8 copper and used a compression fitting to tie the two together. I will add it to the boil 15 min before flameout. Thanks for quick responses

If you are doing 2.5 or 3 gallon boils, put your 2.5 or 2 gallons of spring water in the freezer for about 30 to 45 mins. Do that while you're on your boil. Add the water when you start running the wort chiller and you'll bring that temp down in a matter of mins

FWIW, as a data point, I just brewed my first 5 gallon batch. A copper coil, working off of a sink spigot inside my house, cooled the wort from 212F to 70F in about 20 minutes.

Latest posts

Back