Sweetening/Priming Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

glazeddonut

Reaction score
Brewing my first batch of cider. It stopped fermenting after about 2-weeks, and has a SG of about 0.098, so I think it has used up all of the sugar. It's been sitting for about 3 additional weeks (5-weeks total), and I'd like to bottle it. It smells great, but tastes very dry, and has lost a lot of apple flavor. My preference is for a wetter, fruitier cider (e.g. strongbow).

Would I be OK to prime it with some pasturized apple juice instead of dextrose or DME at bottling time? If so, how much new juice would be appropriate for 10-gallons of fermented cider? My theory is that it should carbonate from some of the sugar in the new juice, and hopefully add some residual apple taste. Is that good logic, or is that likely to give me bottle-bombs?

I don't know how much juice exactly, but you can always do the sugar math with the nutrition facts on the bottle of juice and use as many grams of sugar in the juice as you were planning to use white sugar or dextrose.

You wont get a sweet cider if you prime and let it carb up. You'll have to stop the yeast by cold crashing or pasteurizing before all the sugar is fermented. I do my priming by adding a can of thawed concentrate for a 5 gal batch. Then cold crash after I find a good balance on Carb and sweetness.

Back