looking for pump input!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All that is up for debate among brewers...I strongly believe that any food processed fluids( especially when they are heated) should be in contact with FDA food grade materials only. Ceramic Ferrite magnets are not FDA. These all come form China. All the Chugger and March magnets are encapsulated in Stainless just for this purpose. How much did you pay for this pump with Shipping ?

I haven't even heard from the greatbreweh guys about my order... which I place a month ago

All that is up for debate among brewers...I strongly believe that any food processed fluids( especially when they are heated) should be in contact with FDA food grade materials only. Ceramic Ferrite magnets are not FDA. These all come form China. All the Chugger and March magnets are encapsulated in Stainless just for this purpose. How much did you pay for this pump with Shipping ?

These are roughly $60 shipped. Are you saying the chugger pumps are completly made in the USA? If not which parts if any are made in china?

I believe Mike is talking about the magnet. It is reasonable to assume stainless is food safe while a magnet is not inherently safe. I dont know what the dangers are but the strontium carbonate portion of the mix could react to acidic wort. Water probably isnt a problem but the china manufacturer is probably not concerned with contamination in the magnet mix. Who knows what is in it.

Hey all, i am here to ask questions, debunk the rumors and ask me what you want to know.....magnet, lets put this part to rest, the new ss versions we have coated the magnet with a visible coating that has a food grade rating in Canada at very least. There is no rating for US but that is because Canada is almost always more stringent than the USA with regulations. Ask me what you want to know?

Thank you for coming on the forumn and opening up the lines of communication.

Sometimes the "Food Safe" police on this forumn go a little crazy!!! IMHO

Hey all, i am here to ask questions, debunk the rumors and ask me what you want to know.....magnet, lets put this part to rest, the new ss versions we have coated the magnet with a visible coating that has a food grade rating in Canada at very least. There is no rating for US but that is because Canada is almost always more stringent than the USA with regulations. Ask me what you want to know?

So, the brass version I bought does not have a coating? There were no stainless options when I bought. :(

The brass versions are coated it is a silicone based coating very low viscosity and hard to see. We think the much higher viscosity coating will help people in the fact it will be much more obvious and that is the idea behind changing from a silicone based.

The brass versions are coated it is a silicone based coating very low viscosity and hard to see. We think the much higher viscosity coating will help people in the fact it will be much more obvious and that is the idea behind changing from a silicone based.

Thank you for the reply!

So is the silicone based coating considered food-grade or food-safe?

BeerPumpsEtc,

Do you offer without AC adapter for less, asked via PM but not response. Also if you do is there anyway I can adjust my pre-order? Are the SS versions still expected to ship before June?

Can't wait to give hands on proof that your pumps work ;)

So the coating is silicone based and not 100% silicone? What are the other ingredients?

Do you mean "thickness" and not "viscosity"? The latter usually refers to a material in a liquid state. Or is the coating still in liquid form?

I really do not know what the total composition is, we look for ratings

So you dont know what ingredients are in the sleeve sealing the magnet? Can you elaborate on whether the material is solid or liquid?

I cant imagine being comfortable buying a product when the ingredients are unknown, particularly when your competition is very forthcoming with their materials. Im not willing to gamble my health to save the equivalent of a copay.

I wish you the best of luck, but i think you need to be more up front about the details of your pumps to prospective customers in order to ease their concerns.

kincade said:
So you dont know what ingredients are in the sleeve sealing the magnet? Can you elaborate on whether the material is solid or liquid?

I cant imagine being comfortable buying a product when the ingredients are unknown, particularly when your competition is very forthcoming with their materials. Im not willing to gamble my health to save the equivalent of a copay.

I wish you the best of luck, but i think you need to be more up front about the details of your pumps to prospective customers in order to ease their concerns.

I'm pretty sure the coating is applied as a liquid but becomes solid.

BeerPumpsEtc said:
we do not make that product we buy it and therefore no i really do not know what its made from

I don't particularly care myself, but you'd probably do a lot better just asking the supplier for more details rather than saying you don't know and leaving it at that.

we do not make that product we buy it and therefore no i really do not know what its made from

Then how do you know it is food safe? I'm honestly surprised that you don't know the ingredients in a product you are selling as a hot food contact pump and don't seem to care.

kincade said:
Then how do you know it is food safe? I'm honestly surprised that you don't know the ingredients in a product you are selling as a hot food contact pump and don't seem to care.

He knows it's food safe because the product has been approved as food safe, as he's already said. Knowing the exact chemical breakdown isn't exactly necessary for that, and for the vast majority of people, it wouldn't be any more useful - they'd just be looking at whether the individual (residual) components are approved as food safe, and they obviously are if the product itself is safe.

Granted, it doesn't hurt to have more information. For example, aspartame has been approved for food use, but I don't believe it should have been, so it's nice for a well-informed person to be able to make the decision for themselves. But for the over 99% of people who don't know much about the compounds that might be used in such a coating, the food-safe rating of the product (and by extension, the component compounds) is the only useful piece of information anyways.

I do think the guy is handling this issue poorly though, as I stated in a previous post.

He knows it's food safe because the product has been approved as food safe, as he's already said.

He said it was approved in canada, not the us. As i have no knowledge of what regulations are like in canada i thought it prudent to ask what the ingredients are. The fact that this cant be answered and the seller has no interest in answering it should speak volumes.

I agree wholeheartedly about aspartame, which is why i like to know what makes up the components i use in my brew rig. Both march and chugger are very forthcoming about their materials and they dont cost more enough to make a gamble worthwhile to me.

there is a point where most people realize they have made their point and with that done will allow others to come to their own conclusions. I believe some people never reach that point.

I wasn't aware that an open discussion about a product was discouraged in a DISCUSSION FORUM. :D

I've got one on order. Plan to attach it to the kettle outlet with a camlock in a manner similar to that pictured on the website. Would have probably gone with a Chugger but they don't have a 240V model.

i ordered very similar one from ebay model ts5 15pv (google the moddel and you will find number of sellers, amazon among them) for $59 with free shipping. It should be food grade, im planing on using 12V 1A power supply and have it installed on BK valve for whirpooling and cooling with CFC, i will try to use it tomorrow and let you guys know

I can tell you the product is silicone which we all use in the tubing (FOOD GRADE) including us. I cannot tell you the specific product as we have worked hard to modify this pump for this purpose and continue to do so like any other decent company. The newest coating is going to be more apparent in attempt to end the doubt. I am certain the certification will meet all expectations.

Please be assured these are not the same pumps others refer to from ebay, they are the same basic motor and ryton head but that's it, they were designed for another purpose all together.

Finally one day in the future, (please do not email when) we are working on an all stainless steel head so once again we can totally put this to bed. There are many brewing days ahead so don't wait.

PS. I have loved mine and continue to happily use them but those who wish to pay more for other brands because they feel it is a better choice for themselves, I completely support you in that decision and wish you happy brewing with whatever equipment gets you to the finish line.

GBE

BeerPumpsEtc said:
I can tell you the product is silicone which we all use in the tubing (FOOD GRADE) including us. I cannot tell you the specific product as we have worked hard to modify this pump for this purpose and continue to do so like any other decent company. The newest coating is going to be more apparent in attempt to end the doubt. I am certain the certification will meet all expectations.

Please be assured these are not the same pumps others refer to from ebay, they are the same basic motor and ryton head but that's it, they were designed for another purpose all together.

Finally one day in the future, (please do not email when) we are working on an all stainless steel head so once again we can totally put this to bed. There are many brewing days ahead so don't wait.

PS. I have loved mine and continue to happily use them but those who wish to pay more for other brands because they feel it is a better choice for themselves, I completely support you in that decision and wish you happy brewing with whatever equipment gets you to the finish line.

GBE

When will my SS pump ship?!? :)

Careful...looks like an exposed magnet! Did not know they made food grade magnets ?

I know this is not a problem with chugger pumps. I tried to order one for months, and finally gave up. At least I know all components in my non-existent chugger pump are food safe!

Starderup said:
I know this is not a problem with chugger pumps. I tried to order one for months, and finally gave up. At least I know all components in my non-existent chugger pump are food safe!

Lol

Sounds like chugger needs to concentrate on getting his pumps built and shipped. Rather then trying to cast doubt on the competition's products on HBT.

GBE

I've got one from GreatBrewEh and one from sun-pumps.com (sold as a recirc pump for potable solar water heating applications). They are the same- both re-badged Topsflo units. I see no evidence of any "special modifications for brewing". Only difference is price- $85 vs $59 delivered.

And there you have it. If it is classed as potable water, the definition of potable is fit for human consumption.

this is my solar pump in action, as you can see its very small but has no problem of pushing hot wort through 3/8in cfc, i will try to make a whirpool arm for next brewing but lokks like for efficient whirpooling i will have to bypass cfs. Overall im very happy with this $59 purchase

06012012155.jpg

06012012156.jpg

I've got one from GreatBrewEh and one from sun-pumps.com (sold as a recirc pump for potable solar water heating applications). They are the same- both re-badged Topsflo units. I see no evidence of any "special modifications for brewing". Only difference is price- $85 vs $59 delivered.

That is why the SS ones have a new coating that is more obvious.

GBE

BeerPumpsEtc said:
That is why the SS ones have a new coating that is more obvious.

GBE

When will mine ship?!? ;) I'm very impatient and brewing this weekend...

Sorry for the overwelming demand... Chugger went Worldwide and we Aussies cleaned us out ..New load due in July 15th ...Also look for our new Totally Enclosed motor coming soon. No doubt was cast ...I bought a pump as any other member and posted results ...

chuggerpumps said:
Sorry for the overwelming demand... Chugger went Worldwide and we Aussies cleaned us out ..New load due in July 15th ...Also look for our new Totally Enclosed motor coming soon. No doubt was cast ...I bought a pump as any other member and posted results ...

The totally enclosed motor is waterproof, I take it?

Back