pic of my starter. Look correct???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

je52rm

Reaction score
I am new to making starters and will be making my first all grain batch today. I downloaded the trial of Beersmith 2 (awesome software!) and I will be using it for my recipe. So basically heres the info for the yeast starter I made.

Brown Ale expected OG 1.055 @70% efficiency calls for 187.4 billion cells. I used WLP005 British Ale yeast and with the yeast bottling date viability adjustment it said to make a 1.87 Liter starter which I did. So heres a pic of the starter. I made it in a 1-gallon cider jug with 24-hours at room temp with lots of swirling and 12 hours in the refrigerator so i can decant. Does this look correct (more or less)? It's definitely a LOT more yeast than what was in the vial.

iphone 034.jpg

based on my rather limited experience, it looks about right. pour off the dark clear stuff on top and pitch the tan/beige sludge at the bottom.

why are you concerned? were you expecting something different?

based on my rather limited experience, it looks about right. pour off the dark clear stuff on top and pitch the tan/beige stuff at the bottom.

why are you concerned? were you expecting something different?

No it's the second starter i've ever made and its a way bigger starter than I made on my first so I wanted to make sure it didnt look "short" of how much yeast should be there (more or less). Just trying to refine the process of a new hobby that I love.

Thx uncleben!

nah, you're good. there's no way to count cell accurately based on that layer, mcaple was either joking or wrong. different yeasts pack differently after they finish fermenting. for a 1.055 brew, you're good to go.

thanks Nord! I kinda had a feelin' he might of been pullin' my leg. hahaha
Way to try and rattle an AG noobs nerves. Not gonna work!

je52rm said:
I am new to making starters and will be making my first all grain batch today. I downloaded the trial of Beersmith 2 (awesome software!) and I will be using it for my recipe. So basically heres the info for the yeast starter I made.

Brown Ale expected OG 1.055 @70% efficiency calls for 187.4 billion cells. I used WLP005 British Ale yeast and with the yeast bottling date viability adjustment it said to make a 1.87 Liter starter which I did. So heres a pic of the starter. I made it in a 1-gallon cider jug with 24-hours at room temp with lots of swirling and 12 hours in the refrigerator so i can decant. Does this look correct (more or less)? It's definitely a LOT more yeast than what was in the vial.

What was the package date (4 mo's prior to the use before date)? A 1.8 liter starter would give you a he'll of slot more than a double.
...'actually; you didn't use a stir plate, did you... Nevermind, answered my own question.

I have some homebrew brown ales and graff (that are a month in the bottle) that I really wanna have tonight but I'm learning that patience is well worth it as the beer just gets sooooooo much better when properly aged. That being said I will be drinking some Rougue Mocha Porters tonight. Thanks for the support guys!

Back