Beginner brewer help plz

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

izuel01

Reaction score
Hi guys I got bought a youngs brew kit for Christmas I am really interested in brewing my own beer but when I done everything it said to do, which took about 22 days the brew was really cloudy and tasted foul it was a lager kit was just wondering if anyone could give me advice on a nice easy 1 to start me of? I don't use hops and stuff as I don't know enough about them yet but I buy the can of malt extract which has a yeast packet inside aswell some people suggested coopers?? Thanks Nathan

I would give "how to brew" a read. search for it in google, its a free online book and contains great info. I would suggest getting an extract kit from you local homebrew shop or a close online vendor. Make sure the kit is malt extract not just sugar and water. The sugar/water kits seem to produce poor results for people.
Also as for the kit instruction many of them are not very good directions, use the info you learn from reading Palmers book and ask questions here if you are unsure of somthing.

Ok thanks are the malt extract kits ok for beginners? And have you got any suggestions on a kind? I like lager?? Thanns

Reading how to brew should be your first step, IMHO. Brewing a lager is going to require temperature control that is probably best saved for a brew other than your first. I would suggest brewing an ale for your first. Here is a kit that comes with everything you'll need. This is a common kit, often times carried in local home brew stores.

http://www.monsterbrew.com/Prod_AmberKit.cfm

yes, if you can cook mac and cheese you can brew extract. As for the kind just pick a type of beer that you like. Lagers are a bit more difficult because you need to ferment cold (aound 50F) and control fermetation temeratures for it to turn out any good. I would start with an ale kit for thoes reasons.

I'm quiet young and Havnt tried many ales I like bitter such as boddingtons and light beers are any similar to that sorry to be a pain lol

Another question hops and malt extracts do you just put them into the bucket or do you have to melt them or what that's why I Havnt used them yet because I don't want to waste a lot of money on hops and stuff that I don't know how to use lol

Try an English bitter kit. The sites I mentioned have clones of bass,& such too. Or take a look at my recipes for Sharie's Summer Shandy if you like the Lienenkugel's one. That's based on a light pale ale. Those sites have kits for lighter pale ales if you look.
You can also check out this one for kits made from HB'rs recipes; http://http://morebeer.com/

Yeh I Have been I think my temps were wrong and I heard to leave in primary for longer than a week for clear results?

Ok that's primary for about 3 weeks then secondary in the pressure barrel for how long another 3 weeks?

Ok and if I'm using like a light ale does it have to be certain temps or will the same temp being about 15 degrees Celsius be ok?

Carbonation works best at 70F,or about 22C. Just as a side note,conversion from Celcius to Farenhiet is; (C X 1.8C) + 32 = F.

Ales generally like 64F-68F. That'll keep it fermenting slow & steady at the low end. Possibly need a blow off on the high end of that range. Conversely,if you stsrt the primary at around 64F,even if it climbs up slowly,it ferments a bit slower. Weird,but I've been watching this since yesterday.

Ok thanks for all your help I think I will try a light ale instead of lager this time maybe have better luck with that I will ferment it for 3 weeks at 64f then carbonate in pressure barrel for 3 weeks at 64f aswell hopefully will go well

Back