Lagering

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WeimBrew

Reaction score
I'm doing my first lager and was wondering what the main reason is in transferring from a primary fermentation carboy to a second?

Is it ok to lager in a plastic pale? And will I need to add more yeast before bottling since most if it will fall out of suspension during lagering?

Is it ok to lager in a plastic pale? And will I need to add more yeast before bottling since most if it will fall out of suspension during lagering?

I think the wide headspace of a plastic pale is too much headspace for that length of time, once fermentation has stopped and the beer is no longer producing c02. You don't have to add more yeast, but you can if you want to really ensure even and quick carbonation. About 1/3 package of ale yeast will do fine.

I'm doing some experiments now with lagering in primary. I'm bottling a big bock tomorrow that's been lagered in primary since October. I made another bock over summer that I left on the cake at room temp for 3 months. It's on tap now. Best bock I've ever made.

Im transferring my first Lager to a secondary tomorrow but every beer Ive done has always been transferred to a secondary. Primary since October?? Wow

Back