Wet shaving thread.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Picking up some more razors today from the antique mall down the street from work, one pre 1921 razor, and a bone scaled straight with a nick and crack free blade. 20 dollars for both.

Picking up some more razors today from the antique mall down the street from work, one pre 1921 razor, and a bone scaled straight with a nick and crack free blade. 20 dollars for both.

nice! i'm up to 6 or 7 razors myself, not including my straights (that I may never get around to restoring completely). i have yet to hit any of the antique malls around our area, but may have to do that one of these days. seems like there are some hidden gems out there.

any of you use the C.O. Bigelow (Proraso in different packaging) cream that you can get from bath and body works? i love that stuff, the smell gets me every time and it makes a fantastic lather.

any of you use the C.O. Bigelow (Proraso in different packaging) cream that you can get from bath and body works? i love that stuff, the smell gets me every time and it makes a fantastic lather.

Yup. With the OO it makes for a nice shave. I like the Menthol personally. With the OO mixed in I have no issues with feeling as if my skin is dried out.

I have a ton of tubes of CO Bigelow, I love the menthol, and as stated by Gila, with the EVOO it is a great bit of lather!

When the CO goes on sale my wife picks up a couple tubes for me, I currently have 6 large tubes and 9 small tubes, that oughta last a while.

I actually don't like the menthol too much so I will usually mix it with some "real shaving company".

nice, glad to hear others enjoy it as much as I do. i love the menthol, a few of my favorite cheapo aftershaves are the barbasol 'pacific rush' and good old aqua velva, it doesn't tend to dry my skin out too much at all.

interesting bit about the olive oil. i've never read about/tried that one. i may have to give it a whirl tomorrow when i shave again. thanks for the idea!

edit: and damn, azscoob, you should be set for the "shavepolcalypse."

The razors I got yesterday were a Paul Westphal Cerberus Straight Razor that I know nothing about other than that it has bone scales, and I picked up a 1911 (verified with production number on head) Gillette 'American Button Co. fancy shell handle' sterling silver plated razor. I talked the guy down to 20 dollars for both of them.

Other than strop wear in the center of the straight blade both are in excellent condition, with the handle of the DE showing a loss of plating from use over the years, I am quite pleased with this acquisition!

The razors I got yesterday were a Paul Westphal Cerberus Straight Razor that I know nothing about other than that it has bone scales, and I picked up a 1911 (verified with production number on head) Gillette 'American Button Co. fancy shell handle' sterling silver plated razor. I talked the guy down to 20 dollars for both of them.

Other than strop wear in the center of the straight blade both are in excellent condition, with the handle of the DE showing a loss of plating from use over the years, I am quite pleased with this acquisition!

You are a B&BEAC.

I think I have 3 tools but maybe over a thousand miscellaneous blades.

Sad part is, I got lazy last shave. Still using a ME Mach3 cartridge for my scalp. And was in a hurry. Decided to clean up a bit with that and ended up dry shaving after hot shower. Not even close to BBS but still clean looking and no irritation after. WTF?

Paul Westphal? The basketball guy?

Recently made a switch from cartridge based multi-blade cheese grater shaver (Mach 3) over to an old school Badger, Bowl, and Blade.

First few shaves have been with a Merkur Futur adjustible, Merkur blade, and a Proraso green cake.

I must say, making the switch has made for the most comfortable shaves I have ever had with very little carnage and almost no razor burn in the days after. But my shaves haven't been very close so far. Especially around the neck.

This is, however, a great improvement in what I have settled for over the last decade or so. After trying multitudes of off the shelf multi-edge systems, and electric shavers I had finally settled for a beard trimmer being close enough. Irony is, I use a multi-edge to shave my head. I have yet to brave using a DE for that.

In an effort to improve my shave closeness I have also ordered a Merkur HD Long Handle and a Parker 60R Long Handle of which I should have in the next few days. And, I also have a few other blades to try to find the right combination. As for soaps/creams, I have only used Edge Gel, Proraso Green cake, and a CO Bigelow (Proraso) tube cream.

Post your combo, experiences, tips, disasters, questions, and time invested using a DE or SE blade system.

I use quatro, never had a problem, never had razor burn, and i get a nice clean shave with it.

I use quatro, never had a problem, never had razor burn, and i get a nice clean shave with it.

You know, I used to think I got a clean shave with my mach 3 until I made the switch to DE shaving, now I know what smoothe really is.

With all the advances in technology, they still havent bested a single quality edge.

You know, I used to think I got a clean shave with my mach 3 until I made the switch to DE shaving, now I know what smoothe really is.

With all the advances in technology, they still havent bested a single quality edge.

Ayup.

I was surprised to not have any irritation after a ME dry shave. DE is still far less expensive and gives me a BBS shave with no irritation. I never got that from ME and always broke out a day or two later.

Here is a pic of the new acquisitions:

razors_001.jpg

My Dad at one point had a de butterfly razor, It had a black handle, and 35-40 years ago it was a high end handle. My dad used to remove the blade so my brother and I could "shave" He lost his luggage on a cruse and he still misses that razor. I wish I could replace it. If I had more information I would give it. To the best of my knowledge he got it when he was 16 and now he is 52. I also know he paid around $30-$40 period dollars for the handle. Anyone got any idea what it could be?

pablo1337 said:
My Dad at one point had a de butterfly razor, It had a black handle, and 35-40 years ago it was a high end handle. My dad used to remove the blade so my brother and I could "shave" He lost his luggage on a cruse and he still misses that razor. I wish I could replace it. If I had more information I would give it. To the best of my knowledge he got it when he was 16 and now he is 52. I also know he paid around $30-$40 period dollars for the handle. Anyone got any idea what it could be?

You might spend some time browsing around eBay to see if you can find something similar and identify it. Good luck!

http://www.classicshaving.com/catalog/item/522941/5416207.htm

http://www.classicshaving.com/catalog/item/522941/906442.htm

damn, the DE looks sexy!

Very cool!

Thanks!
The straight needs honing before I can use it, I want to take the frown out of the edge.

I shaved with the Gillette ABC this morning, fantastic shave! a bit agressive with a thin modern blade, but if I shim the blade it should mellow out a bit.

Nothing like shaving with a 100 year old razor. Quality craftsmanship!

Nothing like shaving with a 100 year old razor. Quality craftsmanship!

That is cool. I shave with a razor from my birthyear, play a guitar made 50 years ago (which is older than me, btw, just barely), and am sitting at a desk that was made in the 1930's. As I get older, I appreciate other old things ;)

That is cool. I shave with a razor from my birthyear, play a guitar made 50 years ago (which is older than me, btw, just barely), and am sitting at a desk that was made in the 1930's. As I get older, I appreciate other old things ;)

Yes! Because you can blame the old "things" for all the creaking and popping sounds.

Had to get another puck for my shaving mug and wanted to try something different from my typical drugstore-Williams. So, when I needed to add to an Amazon order to get the free shipping, I bought a Lightfoot's Pure Pine.

Lightfoots.jpg

Tried it for the first time today. I can't say I could tell much of a difference in the lather, but I was also in a bit of a hurry this morning. The aroma was outstanding - pine and resin, very masculine and old-timey.

Lightfoots_2.jpg

Anyone else tried this brand?

I just put a weekend into trying out the shark blades and thought they shave pretty good, going to order a hundred on Amazon, in order to get the free shipping I am going to get a hundred of the Israeli personna blades as well to try out.

Glad the Sharks worked for you, can't beat the price.

I do the same thing when ordering - add in a book, or a t-shirt, or some little item we need to get over the $25 free-shipping line.

Glad the Sharks worked for you, can't beat the price.

I do the same thing when ordering - add in a book, or a t-shirt, or some little item we need to get over the $25 free-shipping line.

I will send you a pack of the Personnas when I get them, thanks for the Sharks!

i just made a trade with a fella over at B&B trading for some personna reds and some personna labs. i haven't tried the reds (aka israelis), but have tried a few labs and, damn, are they sharp. think i'm gonna try a red right now in fact... tis time to shave.

The straight is back from getting honed and is shave ready, no more blade frown and the square corner has been muted to help me keep my blood on the inside. I am going to give it a try in the next day or two and hopefully I limit the nicks to one or three.

Best case I enjoy the experience, worst case I have a nice razor to display on the shelf..

It may take you a few times using the straight razor to get comfortable with it, AZ. After you've learned how to use it, maybe it will be something you'll use occasionally, when you have extra time.

It may take you a few times using the straight razor to get comfortable with it, AZ. After you've learned how to use it, maybe it will be something you'll use occasionally, when you have extra time.

Thats the plan, I can get a good shave with the DE (1 pass WTG, XTG, ATG) in about 5 minutes after showering, when I have more time I plan to use the straight.

Thats the plan, I can get a good shave with the DE (1 pass WTG, XTG, ATG) in about 5 minutes after showering, when I have more time I plan to use the straight.

straights are fun, i have a few i need to get honed (i've tried myself a few times, but just can't seem to get it sharp enough). I feel you can get a better shave easier with a good straight, once you get the technique down. which 'honemeister' did you go with and what did it cost you?

straights are fun, i have a few i need to get honed (i've tried myself a few times, but just can't seem to get it sharp enough). I feel you can get a better shave easier with a good straight, once you get the technique down. which 'honemeister' did you go with and what did it cost you?

A local guy here in Scottsdale, http://www.asharperrazor.com/ he took care of the frown my blade had and muted the corner so I wouldnt carve up my face, charged me 30 dollars for the work, this thing is SHARP!!

I took the straight for a spin yesterday evening, not a single nick! I really need to get the grip down, I have issues figuring how to hold it to get the angle right on different parts of my face.

Does anyone have a good technique tutorial I can look over??

Not the smoothest shave, but I am sure I will get it down and the shave will improve with time.

Latest posts

Back