Kegerator Conversion: Frigidaire LFPH44M4LM

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pericles

Reaction score
Lowes is currently selling a 4.4 cu. ft. compact fridge for $149.99, which is $30 savings. Before I bought it, I was hoping to confirm that the fridge would work on this site, but there was no thread that had given the thumbs up to that particular model number. I took a flyer on it, and it works GREAT, and the build was even easier than for most of the kegerators I've seen on this site. Here's my step-by-step:

(1) Here's the product number at Lowes. If yours isn't this model number, you might now have the right fridge, so double check.

modelnum.jpg

(2) Here's a view of the inside. You can see that the freon tubes don't go through the inside of the fridge, so there's no plate chiller to bend back, no lines to kink or break, and no risk of destroying the fridge. That's something I really liked about this model.

opendoor.jpg

(3) First off, let's take the freezer door off. Find the two screws right next to the temperature controller and unscrew them. Then the door pops right off.

screws.jpg

(4) Now that the freezer door is off, you can slide the freezer base right out; there's nothing holding it in place.

freezerbottom.jpg

(5) Unfortunately, the door is a little more tricky than some others. You can peel the rubber seal right off (it pops back into place easily later on) but there are no screws. Instead, the molded interior is held in place with glue, and is bonded to the insulation underneath it.

door1.jpg

(6) To get more working space on the door, I removed it by unscrewing the foot that holds it in place at the bottom of the fridge.

foot.jpg

(7) I used a utility knife to cut the plastic, and then knocked the molded pieces out with a hammer. If anybody else can come up with a better method, they're welcome to share it!

hammer.jpg

(8) Once I was done removing the plastic, I cut down the insulation so it was all flush with the edges of the door. That gives me more room to store kegs inside.

insulation.jpg

(9) Next I flipped the door over, and used a one-and-three-eighths-inch hole bit to cut the exterior skin of the door where I want the tap to go. After the plastic piece was gone, I cut the insulation underneath out of the way using a flat-head screwdriver.

skin.jpg

(10) I flipped the door again to expose the insulation. Carefully measuring the interior portion of the door, I cut a piece of project board to fit, and glued/screwed the board down. Then, from the outside of the door, I used the one-and-three eights-inch hole bit to drill a pilot hole into the project board. (The blade of the bit shouldn't touch the board, just the pilot bit, so be careful!) Finally, from the inside of the door, I used a one-inch hole bit to cut a hole. The shank/pvc/faucet goes through the two holes, and you've got yourself a finished door!

board.jpg

(11) Reattach the door by screwing the foot back into place. Then reseat the rubber seal around the edge of the door. It just pops into place, so that's not hard.

reattach.jpg

(12) Because the project board extends a little farther out than the original plastic pieces, the seal between the rubber and the door isn't perfect. I fixed this by adding weather-stripping from the home-depot. Between the project board and the weather-stripping, the fridge has trouble staying shut, but the lock at the top provides the perfect fix: just lock the fridge when you want it to stay shut, and the seal between the weather-stripping and the rubber seal becomes perfect.

Also, because the door's molding is gone, the light-switch won't turn off when you close the door. You can remove the light bulb to save energy, or just use a piece of tape to tape the switch into the off-position.

finished.jpg

(Notes) At the moment I'm just housing one keg in there, so I'll obviously have to drill a second set of holes in the door for the next keg.

I'll also probably have to move the temperature control/light assembly, but that shouldn't be difficult: it's only secured in place by two screws, so it can easily be moved to the back of the fridge where it won't be in the way.

How much would you say this project cost total? Are you happy with the end result? I like how the tap comes out the front, I'd love to have something that I could slide under my desk.

The fridge was $149.99 + tax, so $157.49.

The CO2 tank, regulator, lines, clamps, wrench, keg, QDs, shank & hardware, tap, and handle came to $190.71 including both tax and shipping & handling. I bought them from beveragefactory.com, and was really pleased with their prices, and their customer service.

Charging the CO2 tank cost me $25 at a local Airgas.

I had most of the tools I needed on-hand, but needed to buy one of the two bi-metal hole-saws I used to cut the hole in the door. They're pretty expensive, because you have to buy both the saw and the chuck. I think it ended up being about $20 for both.

The weatherstripping was $7.99.

So all total, I paid about $400.00, not including the beer.

As for whether I'm happy. . . I can't even TELL you have excited I am to be done with the chore of bottling. The prospect of having the ability to pressurize a keg also opens a lot of additional doors to me that I wasn't even thinking about when I got started: now I can filter beer by pushing it from one keg to another. (My understanding is that you can't really filter without pressure.)

I can also use a counter-pressure filler to fill pre-carbonated bottles and avoid the yeast-plug at the bottom. That'll be good for clarity and for storage and, when I give bottles as gifts, I won't have to try to get friends to decant the beer off the yeast. I can also use the CO2 to flush the oxygen out of bottles before I use them, and that'll help them keep for a lot longer.

And because kegs are cheap, I can throw beers into kegs as they come out of my pipeline and crash-chill them in the fridge. Or else I can use the kegs as a vessel to secondary in without worrying about oxygen permeability.

Others may have a different experience, but this set-up has really expanded my interest in brewing. It eliminates the step I HATE (bottling) and it gives me the opportunity to pursue more complex fermentations. So definitely give the project a shot, and let me know how it turns out!

I'm just starting this same project with this fridge. Good inspiration and awesome build. I have the door shaved down and just ordered the conversion kit from kegconnection. I am kind of nervous because I just destroyed a perfectly good door and being a newlywed I don't have money to throw away if I mess this fridge up. I don't have hardly any diy experience but feel confident after looking at your build. Should I be worried? Lol. The project should run me about the same 400 dollars. Can't wait to get the parts in to finish it off! After your build, have you realized a way to get the board in and still have a good seal without the lock? Oh and have you tried fitting one keg and a 5g carboy? I'll only be running one tap dead center under the lock and would like to lager on the other side.

I am kind of nervous because I just destroyed a perfectly good door and being a newlywed I don't have money to throw away if I mess this fridge up. I don't have hardly any diy experience but feel confident after looking at your build. Should I be worried?

Well, I'll be honest with you. . . you probably have voided the warranty on that fridge, and I don't think Lowes will give you your money back at this point.

That said, this wasn't a complicated build. There's no plumbing, and no electrical. And, even better, any errors you make can be pretty easily corrected: in the WORST CASE SCENARIO, you might screw up the hole you have to drill through the door. If you do, you can just fill the hole in with spray insulation, and patch the front of the door with duct tape (or whatever you have on hand.) It won't be pretty, but it'll work. And I'm sure creative minds can come up with good ideas to MAKE it pretty after the fact.

After your build, have you realized a way to get the board in and still have a good seal without the lock?

I added weatherstripping around the edge of the door, and the jam, but it won't seal without the lock being engaged. The problem (for me) is that I don't know what the sealing mechanism is - magnets, air pressure, etc. I don't mind keeping the door locked, so I haven't invested a lot of time and energy figuring out how to do it any other way; you should look into it, and let us know!

Oh and have you tried fitting one keg and a 5g carboy? I'll only be running one tap dead center under the lock and would like to lager on the other side.

I haven't but, just from looking at it, I don't think that that would work. You definitely CAN keep two KEGS inside though; If you want to lager - as opposed to fermenting - why not just lager in a second keg?

A quick suggestion, run the fridge for a week or two before starting the conversion. That way you can return it if it has any start up problems.

A quick suggestion, run the fridge for a week or two before starting the conversion. That way you can return it if it has any start up problems.

I ran the fridge for a couple of days without any problems, fridge got really nice and cold.

I was thinking for the seal problem... If I used something thinner than the project board you speak of (by the way where do I get this project board and what is it made of?) like a thin piece of sheet metal, I could probably get it to sit in there after shaving out enough insulation to where the seal meets cleanly. I could also put some nice spray paint and a clear coat on the sheet metal to give it a nice finished look. I don't know im just throwing out ideas.

One other thing to think about... is there any concern in removing this much insulation? It seems it may make the compressor run for longer periods of time and cause it to age quicker or burn out?

I ran the fridge for a couple of days without any problems, fridge got really nice and cold.

Great!

I was thinking for the seal problem... If I used something thinner than the project board you speak of (by the way where do I get this project board and what is it made of?) like a thin piece of sheet metal, I could probably get it to sit in there after shaving out enough insulation to where the seal meets cleanly. I could also put some nice spray paint and a clear coat on the sheet metal to give it a nice finished look. I don't know im just throwing out ideas.

The project board is a piece of compressed paperboard - the same thing that you see on the back of Billy bookshelves from IKEA. It's cheap, and you can buy it from Home Depot. (Probably Lowes too).

As for sheet metal: you could definitely try that, but I'm not sure how much of a difference it would make. The project board is only a few millimeters thick, so the thinner sheet metal might not help. Also, I would be concerned that the greater weight would put strain on the doors joints, and prevent the door from lining up appropriately to seal. That said, give it a thought!

An idea that I had a few days ago was to run magnetic tape underneath the weather-stripping that I added. That locks the door shut nicely, but I still use the lock just to be safe.

One other thing to think about... is there any concern in removing this much insulation? It seems it may make the compressor run for longer periods of time and cause it to age quicker or burn out?

Removing the couple of cubic inches that you have isn't going to cause the fridge to be significantly less insulated. It will, however, increase the total space that the refrigerator is cooling. Not, however, in my opinion, enough to cause the compressor to run significantly more.

What's more likely is that the defrost mechanism will run for longer periods, because the divider between the freezer and refrigerator compartments has been removed. That means that the overall temperature of a larger volume of air is colder, and will cause greater condensation.

Looking at my electric bill, my kegerator, with two kegs of beer and a 5lb canister of CO2, is running me an extra $4 per month or so. Given the savings in my bar tab, it's more than a wash for me.

Sweet thanks for the advice. I ended up going with a couple sheets of plexiglass I had laying around and although I haven't put the door back on yet i think the seal should still work as normal. Before screwing in the plexiglas glass I spray painted the sheets black and I got to say it looks pretty professional. I'll try to put up pics when I'm done.

Sorry, tried to link to a pix from phone and it didn't work. When I get to a computer I'll try again. Bit I just put the door on the fridge and it shuts a seals just like it did from the factory so I'm pretty happy with it.

On mine, the rubber seal tucked behind the door plastic. The door plastic was screwed into the door.
What I did was just take a dremel to the door and cutout the pieces that got in the way. That way I was able to keep the integrity of the door/seal.

And personally I'd use something other than project board. Or at least primer it. It could absorb moisture or get wet if you have a leak and then warp. No offense to the OP. It's always easier to make comments after the fact!

Yeah that's why I went with plexiglass but like you said it's always easier to comment after after following a smarter persons build 90 percent of the way. I was just worried about it molding. As far as the seal, I think you have the older model that was screwed in... On our model, the plastic is actually glued down from the manufacturer and actually has a completely different interior as far as the door goes and the door actually takes up more room in the fridge which is why we had to chop everything out of it.

I don't have the same model. I got mine for $20 from craigslist. I was just pointing out things I saw from the pics to try and help out.
My plastic on the door went WAY into the fridge. I dremeled a ton of plastic out.

I'm really thinking about doing this build. It seems pretty straight forward, but I would be going with dual taps just in case. I keep wanting to build a keezer, but I don't know if I need that much space just for me. I know.............famous last words. I plan on finishing our basement and with what I have drawn up the keezer would be hard to figure out. This would just take the place of a cabinet underneath my bar.

That looks great! Very clean, which I like. You don't think there would be a problem adding a second tap handle on there do you?

BIGREDIOWAN said:
That looks great! Very clean, which I like. You don't think there would be a problem adding a second tap handle on there do you?

No I wouldn't see it a problem at all but make sure you install the shanks as high as possible to clear the kegs.

BIGREDIOWAN said:
I'm really thinking about doing this build. It seems pretty straight forward, but I would be going with dual taps just in case. I keep wanting to build a keezer, but I don't know if I need that much space just for me. I know.............famous last words. I plan on finishing our basement and with what I have drawn up the keezer would be hard to figure out. This would just take the place of a cabinet underneath my bar.

Instead of messing with the tap handles on the door since this is a under counter instillation I would think a tower with two taps on top of the bar might look better but would be more costly and a little more build work.

Instead of messing with the tap handles on the door since this is a under counter instillation I would think a tower with two taps on top of the bar might look better but would be more costly and a little more build work.

Yeah, I hear ya, I just don't know if I'll run into problems drilling through the top of that thing and I don't know if it's worth the trouble. I'd rather be safe than sorry.............I'd hate to tell the wife I ruined a new fridge and we're screwed. She'd put a stop to the beer hobby spending real quick if that happened. :drunk:

I do think she'd go with a build that would cost me around $400 before she'd go for a kegorator that was $700 to $800.

BIGREDIOWAN said:
Yeah, I hear ya, I just don't know if I'll run into problems drilling through the top of that thing and I don't know if it's worth the trouble. I'd rather be safe than sorry.............I'd hate to tell the wife I ruined a new fridge and we're screwed. She'd put a stop to the beer hobby spending real quick if that happened. :drunk:

Lol yeah good point but it's really quite simple. Take top off and scrape away the foam (you would take out some of it anyway to put in a support piece for tap).. You can see the coolant lines at that point and won't risk hitting them. Then just drill the hole and hook the bad boy up. There are pictorials on here to show ya what to do if you wanted to go for it.

BIGREDIOWAN said:
I was thinking about this keg kit from keg connection. I think this would give me everything I need correct?

http://stores.kegconnection.com/Detail.bok?no=330

That's what I was looking at but ended up getting the same thing with one tap and upgraded to a better stainless steel faucet. Just got it in today but haven't tried anything out yet as I have to get the co2 tank filled. The build with one faucet ran me 450 or so after buying the plexiglass, the hole saw I didn't have, a small drill bit and so forth. It would have been a few bucks cheaper but my dumb a** went and got the plexiglass too short and then had to buy another piece and put them together which you can see in the pic. Also I paid 170 for the fridge which is higher than what the OP paid for it.

Yeah, on Lowe's website they are running $179.00 plus tax. I may only go with one tap to start and then allow myself to get another if needed to keep the cost down. I'll want to upgrade the faucet as well. Thanks for the info.

I'd use something other than project board. Or at least primer it. It could absorb moisture or get wet if you have a leak and then warp.

I haven't had that problem yet, but I think your comment is farsighted. Longer term I think I'd like to replace the project board with something more permanent.

I'm really thinking about doing this build. It seems pretty straight forward, but I would be going with dual taps just in case.

Dual taps work just fine; there's plenty of room for two kegs, and a 5lb canister of CO2. If you want dual taps though, I'd carefully consider where to put them though; my shank is long enough that the door will not close if the keg is not pushed all the way back. Putting a second shank on the other side of the door wouldn't work, because the second keg has to be positioned forward.

So two taps in the middle are fine, and two taps on one side are fine, but two taps symmetrically placed on the door might be a problem.

Here is a link to my finished product and another build pic:

Yours looks great!

I don't know where the coolant lines are located in the top, so I can't advise about this.

I was thinking about this keg kit from keg connection. I think this would give me everything I need correct?

That's everything you need from a kegging, yes. Except for the beer, of course, and also the CO2 - you can't ship pressurized CO2, so you'll have to pay to get the tank refilled when it arrives.

There are spots where two tap handles will fit in the "middle" of the door. To be certain, try putting your kegs inside before you drill the holes. Then make your decision where to drill accordingly.

Ah, gotcha, what I would plan on doing with my whole bar idea is raising the fridge up some and basically building it into the bar. I figure if it's a foot to 16 inches off of the ground it'll work if I put the taps on the door. If I don't then I'll have to put a tower on it and I don't know if I'm really comfortable doing that. I figure I'll just put a drawer underneath the fridge for extra storage and it'll get it off the ground. I need to sketch something up though.

I have run in to a hicup using the plexiglas that I wanted to let anyone know about who may be going this route. In some spots of the door several inches or more of insulating foam was removed to flatten everything out. This insulation being taken out has had more of an impact than expected. For whatever reason the fridge doesn't turn on as soon as the temp drops below a certain point... Maybe it runs in intervals regardless of the temp depending on the setting. Without the insulation it loses cold through the door very very quickly and before it turns back on the ice formed on the inside top of the fridge due to condensation has already began melting creating puddles and warm beer lines. I have purchased a 4x8 sheet of foam insulation from lowes for 11 bucks and put it on the inside of the door. Hopefully this will correct the problem and I can still give it a finished look when I know it does the trick. I will post again when I figure this out.

Hm, that's strange; I haven't been having that problem at all! Do you think it's caused by the plexiglass, or something else?

I have seen most of the time people using wood or materials other than plexiglass which naturally insulate. Plexiglass doesn't insulate at all. I imagine that's the culprit. But either way I think this foam will do the trick and once I see how it does I will put the foam behind the glass, paint the edges and get it looking nice again.

pericles said:
Hm, that's strange; I haven't been having that problem at all! Do you think it's caused by the plexiglass, or something else?

Have you noticed the door is cool to the touch and/or frost/ice on the inside top of the fridge?

Thanks for the update, I was at Lowe's this past weekend looking at this fridge. I'm gonna wait another week or so before I go and buy it as I need my tax refund in the bank before I do. Definately keep us updated!

Have you noticed the door is cool to the touch and/or frost/ice on the inside top of the fridge?

On mine, the door isn't any cooler to the touch than the rest of the fridge. There's a little bit of frost on the top of the fridge, but not much, and it's not melting or dripping.

Back