First Timer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

13thSlinky

Reaction score
Hi everyone this is my first time brewing my own beer and had a few questions. I red most of the tips and tricks but still couldn't find my answer. I purchased the Brewers best kit, along with American Amber ingredients. Brewing went well, until I put took my first hydro reading. American Amber is 1.042-1.045, my reading was 1.029. Did I do something wrong, so i just added my yeast and let it go. Also do you use both can extract and dry or just one. I only used the can wasn't sure because the recipe said and/or dry.

So the kit came with both liquid and dry malt extract? And you only added the liquid? That would likely explain the low gravity.

If I were you, I would try to add the dry malt extract ASAP. You'll want to boil it in some water. More experienced people- should he aerate it before he dumps it in?

If you leave it as is, you'll have a very light, very hoppy beer with maybe 2% alcohol.

Welcome to HBT!

Yep, boil up a quart or two of water, mix your malt, cool, and add it to your fermenter. I wouldn't aerate any further at this point. Don't worry, the yeast will find the sugars and make beer just fine.

Yes, it came with both and the recipe wasn't very specific so I didn't know what to do. Can I still save my beer. It has been fermenting for about 4 hours.

So I boil up the malt and pour in as is, I'm going to do this right now, one more thing, when brewing it reduced to about 1 gallon it started as 2. Is this normal, i only filled it to the 4 gallon mark because it said add 3 gallons, but didn't state that it would reduce. Should I add more water.

Perfect, you can boil your DME in a gallon, cool, and add it in to get the right volume. You only need to get the DME to temp, no need to boil for any length of time.

Thanks guys for the fast replies, I finished cooling and added it to the rest of the batch did a quick hydro test and it was perfect. I guess brewing is all about trail and error quick way to learn though. Again thanks guys, will this effect the final outcome of the final product.

Back