Scale recommendations

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1stTimer

Reaction score
I was hoping someone could recommend a good and affordable digital scale. Something that would be easy to find. I need to weigh my hops. Thanks in advance.

I appreciate the input. I just picked up something from Wal Mart. I looked around the local stores for the Escali Primo but no one had it. You had to order it. I needed something asap to get my weight so i can get a brew done this weekend. But as soon as this one craps out I will be sure to go with the Escali. Thanks again

I bought one of the walmart scales and it was crap. Got one from bed bath and beyond for $40. Made by Cuisinart(sp). Awesome scale, though it shows fractions instead of decimals, to 1/8 oz.

What was the problem with the wal mart one? I may just take it back. I cant even remember the brand. But it was $20 and weighs up to 11lbs.

Look around amazon for a Blade Scale...I found one there for like $12. The great thing is that it's accurate enough to measure stuff like spices and brewing salts/minerals. The drawback is that you can't use it to weigh grain. I have the blade and the OXO kitchen scale (11 lb capacity)...because most scales that have the capacity to weigh a bunch of grain usually aren't terribly accurate, and the scales that are accurate typically can't weigh a bunch of grain.

What was the problem with the wal mart one? I may just take it back. I cant even remember the brand. But it was $20 and weighs up to 11lbs.
It only weighed to tenths of an ounce. So measuring 0.75oz is tricky. I'm very anal when it comes to numbers.

That was reason enough for me to return it.

I use a gram accurate scale that will fit a 16oz plastic cup on top so I can weigh both pellet and leaf hops in 1-2oz increments. I also use that for 1-10 gram brewing salts.

On the grain side, I use a medium scale that can handle 32 pounds at a time. The only thing I hate about mine is that using an ale pail covers the display so I have to balance it on top of a 1 gallon bucket.

I reallu appreciate all the input. Eventhough the wal mart scale seems to be pretty accurate, I am going to return it and just order one. I will have to put off my brew until next weekend. :( Oh well.

I would go ahead and use it for this weekend! Unless you NEED to measure out .05 ounces of hops, it will be accurate enough to do your brew. I mean, if you are SURE you will hit X gravity, and Y volumes, then you MIGHT need to worry about .05 ounces, but chances are , you will not be that close, or the recipe will not be that unforgiving.

Those small numbers are usually only a problem if you KNOW what you are goign to get for wort, and if you are brewing either a very small batch, or brewing a very hop-light beer.

I bought an Ohaus Emerald JE250 and a 200 grams calibration weight.

I know it doesn't fit the bill of "affordable" @ about $70 but it has excellent calibration and is tiny.

For weighing grains I use a big old 50 pound spring-type scale I bought at costco. Gets me close enough.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back