Beersmith and Jamil's recipes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

claphamsa

Professional Jezter PWNZR
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Ok, So Ive been punching in Jamils book into beersmith (boo sunburn).

And I punch in 20 lbs of 2 row, and bla bla bla, yet the numbers are different, I punch in 1 oz 5% fuggles for 60 min, and the IBU is different. why is this? should i punch them in as extract, and let beersmith translate it? Ive been using the all grain options in the book..... :(

There are different formulas for calculating IBUs...does Jamil's book specify which he uses?

I believe Beersmith defaults to Tinseth, but there are other formulas available in the Bitterness Calculation options.

I don't have a copy of the book yet, its in the mail, but many of his recipes I see are for six gallon batches.

I've heard him say several times that he uses the Rager bitterness formula.

(Tools->Options->Bitterness)

Also, check your equipment settings, and try checking or unchecking the "Set Boil Volume Based on Equipment" box and see what difference that makes.

I've put several of his recipes into Beersmith myself, and there's always a bit of a difference.

his effeciency is listed as 73%

he uses rager

and yes 6 gallons! thats it! thanks :)

stupid reading the instructions :)

sorry to bump this but has anyone seen a collection of jamil's recipes for beersmith 2?

his effeciency is listed as 73%

This statement struck me as wrong when I first read it but it wasn't until this morning that I checked on it. Jamil states in the "brewing these recipes" section of the book that the assumed efficiency is 70%. For each individual recipe he also lists the "adf", the apparent degree of fermentation, which I originally assumed was the efficiency (until this morning I actually had no idea what "adf" stood for as I was never able to find an explanation of it in the book).

if you go into add-ons, they have about 20 from his podcast, can you brew it. None that i see from BCS

I checked the add-ons but was unable to find these. Do you recall the specific name of the add-on?

If you download the demo of ProMash and key in BCS recipes with 70% efficiency, 6 gallon (end-of-boil) & 1 gal/hr boil-off, the results will be identical to what's listed in the book. The only difference you will find for 90 minute boil recipes is that the pre-boil gravity will be off because the book is written for 60 minute boil extract recipies. The end-of-boil gravity will always match.

Doing that and looking at some of the system settings in Promash in comparison to another program might help.

Any progress on exporting your beersmith data from BCS? I could take a picture of myself holding my copy if you're concerned...

I'm vaguely remembering a thread on here, where someone did this and had them posted for a while. They were then asked by the publisher to take them down if I'm not mistaken. I'll dig for the thread... Maybe I'm thinking of something else though.

Edit: Here's the thread

Back