Hot Doggedy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beer:30

Chief Bottle Washer
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have read threads in the past about hot dog aroma / taste from some wheat beer brews. I recognize that there are always many factors that can influence an outcome in brewing, I just want to report some of the things I have observed regarding this. Some may find this useful. I have probably brewed about five or six batches of AG wheat beer over the past two years, and once in a while I do detect a "hot dog" aroma prior to the final product. Here are some of the facts:
-I often use wheinstephan yeast from Wyeast
-I ferment in my basement which is typically low 60s
-I typically brew 15 gal batches and have sometimes observed this aroma in only one of the three carboys of the same batch
-I have observed this predominant odor in the flat beer before carbonating, and 3 days later after force carbonating, no odor of this kind is detectable and the beer is very good.

The point that I have taken away from my experiences and something that I have read many times here on HBT is that DUMPING IS A LAST RESORT! Often times tastes and aroma in green beer will not be predominant (or sometimes even detectable) in the finished product. Obviously this may not apply to all cases, but don't be fooled. And hopefully you never will have to cry over spilled beer. :mug:

I thought the hot dog thing was generally attributed to overusing the wrong sort of coriander

I thought the hot dog thing was generally attributed to overusing the wrong sort of coriander

Seriously? I need corriander edumacation then. What are the differenct types of corriander out there. Not being a smart-a$$, I do love a good hefe and I guess until this point I kinda didn't even realize there were multiple types.

-OCD

As far as I know there are 2 types but I have never read anything about one or the other being bad. In fact I read that the normal round seeds are perfectly fine but there are different seeds that are more oblong that have a better citrisy flavor.

I have never been able to find these oblong corriander seeds so I am not talking from experience however I read somwhere the they were better.

Bugged me enought that I had to look this up:

In commerce, coriander is broadly divided into two
types according to the size of the fruit. Fruit size is an
indication of volatile oil content and suitability for particular
end uses. Variety vulgare or macrocarpum has a fruit
diameter of 3-5 mm while var. microcarpum fruits have a
diameter of 1.5-3 mm. Large fruited types are grown
mainly by tropical and subtropical countries, e.g. Morocco,
India and Australia and contain a low volatile oil content
(0.1-0.4%). They are used extensively for grinding and
blending purposes in the spice trade. Types with smaller
fruit are produced in temperate regions and usually have