Lacto infection

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LewBrew

Reaction score
I made a batch of "English Ale" from Black Rock. I followed the instructions and did not boil it. In addition, I added some spices and let it set in the fermenter for 2 weeks. When I moved it to the secondary I added pumpkin to the carboy. Today I looked in it and see a few long slimy strands floating.

After reading other blogs as well as a paper by John Palmer, I am leaning to think this might be a Lacto infection.

What do you think? If so, should I have boiled everything including the pumpkin? If not, what would cause this? Should I still keep it and give it a chance?

Pictures... I dont know how many threads I have seen that give a DESCRIPTION of the 'infection'

Take some pics and let the experts take a look. And also, it appears that some people here strive to brew infected beers... (Seriously?)
-Me

Pictures... I dont know how many threads I have seen that give a DESCRIPTION of the 'infection'

Take some pics and let the experts take a look. And also, it appears that some people here strive to brew infected beers... (Seriously?)
-Me

No, I didn't set out to brew an infected beer. I am continually amazed at the responses I have received to sincere questions that are laced with pompous arrogant replies from self proclaimed experts. I am happy you call yourself an expert, good for you. Here is a link to a paper by John Palmer that describes the lacto infection as slimy threads: How To Brew Your First Beer

Look under the header "Some things to watchout for, #2"

Just let me know if this website doesn't exist to assist new brewers and I will leave.

And also, it appears that some people here strive to brew infected beers... (Seriously?)
-Me

Yes, some people do strive to brew purposely infected beers- Berliner Weisse, Flanders Red, Lambics, Gueze, etc. This can be accomplished by pitching a commercial strain that contains the necessary bugs or, in the case of Berliner Weisse, employing a sour mash.

LewBrew,

In reviewing the directions that you linked to, it seems that you did everything correctly with this 'no boil' kit. The malt extract syrup is prehopped and already pasteurized. If you have a lacto infection, your tastebuds will be your best indicator. Lacto is very tart and sour, almost mouth-puckering so. Have you tasted it?

Taste it. If it is lacto, you will know. It will be very sour, nasty tasting.

That canned pumpkin stuff can have some long, stringy stuff in there. I am hopping that is all it is.

I just tasted it and it is pretty good. I wouldn't have thought that the strands might have been pumpkin. Everything from the can had the consistency of tomato sauce.

Thanks for the tips.

No, I didn't set out to brew an infected beer. I am continually amazed at the responses I have received to sincere questions that are laced with pompous arrogant replies from self proclaimed experts. I am happy you call yourself an expert, good for you. Here is a link to a paper by John Palmer that describes the lacto infection as slimy threads: How To Brew Your First Beer

Look under the header "Some things to watchout for, #2"

Just let me know if this website doesn't exist to assist new brewers and I will leave.

Whoah bud! I really didnt mean to come across as arrogant! (And I will be the first to apologize for coming across as such if I did)

I was just simply (repeating) some rather sound advise I have gathered from these forums. Its rather difficult to diagnose issues without pics. :confused:

Best of luck to you in your brew man. I (really do) hope that it turns out well in the end.
-Me

JM's right, if you have a suspected infection you should really post pics. That said, I have seen yeast do some seriously nasty stuff, so just looking at a brew is not a way to determine infection. As others have said (and as you have now done), try it. Your taste buds can detect contaminants down to parts per billion.

Bad day in traffic caught up with me. I apologize for my edged response. After tasting it, as suggested by a couple others, I am still hopeful.

Whoah bud! I really didnt mean to come across as arrogant! (And I will be the first to apologize for coming across as such if I did)

Bad day in traffic caught up with me. I apologize for my edged response. After tasting it, as suggested by a couple others, I am still hopeful.

Maybe santa will have pity and send a camera my way

Maybe santa will have pity and send a camera my way

:) Its all good bud. Frustrations from living life on lifes terms can be trying from time to time. You can make it up to me by sending me some of your brew when it ends up turning out okay. :D

Isnt Santa just around the corner from you BTW? I can have my wife ask him about your camera when she calls him for my daughters misbehavior...
-Me

That's a deal. I even have some bubble wrap I have put aside. Send me a mailing address and I will send you some in time for Christmas.

"Beer makes you feel like you should without beer"

Just going to throw this out there, if you didn't boil the beer at all, there is a very good chance you have some lacto in there. Grain is covered in lacto, and just letting it sit, basically as you did in a round about way, is a way to create a sour mash/wort.

****, edit: just read the link to the recipe... it's a pure extract w/o steeping grains kit. What I said above doesn't apply.

Back