$100 Mini Chest Freezer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GeorgeH

Reaction score
I just saw this at Kroger (a midwest grocery store):

Looks like it could be a good deal for anyone looking to make a keezer. 5.3 Cu. Ft. should be big enough for 2 corny kegs and CO2 (The Sanyo 4912 is 4.9 Cu. Ft.)

kinison_fan said:
Looks like it's a "last one" deal. Good buy for someone.
It looks like the last one at my store, but I remember seeing a pile of them at the store a week ago for the same price (didn't think to post it until I was shopping yesterday and realized "KEEZER!"). If you have a Kroger around you it can't hurt to check.

I picked one up a week or two ago. Holds two with ease; just another inch and it would have held 4 without a collar. As it is, with a nice big collar I think it would hold 4. Certainly 3, at least. Pretty decent build quality, but the compressor cycles at least once every 30 minutes.

I got a very similar model (made by GE) at Sam's Club for $147, so that's a good deal. You can squeeze 2 cornies plus a 5lb co2 tank in the bottom well and still have room for hop/yeast storage in the area above the compressor.

I'm upgrading in a little over an hour, actually---found a screaming deal on a like-new freezerless fridge that can supposedly hold a bunch of cornies.

I'd also like to know what crackhead at Kroger's head offices said "hey, you know what? We should sell chest freezers at our grocery stores!" I always love it when grocery stores get some kind of wacky idea and suddenly you're walking down the condiment aisle and there's a stack of wood chippers...

:drunk:

I've seen other grocery stores sell freezers. It makes sense; get someone to drop $100 on a freezer, they'll drop that much again on meat and other stuff to fill it up. I remember seeing a semi-local store run an ad, they were having a deal and selling freezers at what seemed to be not much above cost, to get people to stock up.

Evan! said:
I'd also like to know what crackhead at Kroger's head offices said "hey, you know what? We should sell chest freezers at our grocery stores!" I always love it when grocery stores get some kind of wacky idea and suddenly you're walking down the condiment aisle and there's a stack of wood chippers...

Becuase Kroger is the 2nd largest general retailer in the US second only to wal-mart, and I think 7th in the world.

reidoreilly said:
Becuase Kroger is the 2nd largest general retailer in the US second only to wal-mart, and I think 7th in the world.

You serious? I guess that would explain why our Krogers are almost as dumpy inside as our Walmart.

Wow, I never knew that about Kroger. I was going to call BS that it was that large, buy google confimred it.

I do know what Evan is talking about though. Some of the larger supermarkets around me have sold everything from gas fireplaces to gazebos to furniture. Kind of a silly business model, but it must work.

Back