Guide to set internal chest freezer thermostat to >32F; Eliminate external control

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a 7.1 haier that I cannot get above 15 degrees.

I have the recessed screw on the bottom of therm all the way in. Without too much force. And fine adjustment set to 1.

There are a few guys here to rigged extra bits to their thermostat to raise the temp, but I could not really follow what they were doing where.

I am a typical guy. Pics help a lot.

Anyone have some advise for me?

External temperature controller?

http://amzn.to/128Mw73

I did the exact thing with my thermostat, but with a little time and patients you can put it back together. I wasn't willing to write off the freezer. Or I have seen threes where the aquarium temp control is hard wired to the freezer.

I did the exact thing with my thermostat, but with a little time and patients you can put it back together. I wasn't willing to write off the freezer. Or I have seen threes where the aquarium temp control is hard wired to the freezer.

I was able to get the whole thing back together enough to the point that the freezer is on at all times. Which is fine, because I just have it plugged into and STC-1000. I just wish I had never screwed with the thermostat, literally.

I just wish I had never screwed with the thermostat, literally.

I hear you on that. I was thinking that you could probably get a replacement from an independent appliance repair service. If you find the right guy, you might even be able to barter homebrew for some guidance in installing the replacement. Whwn you call them just mention what you use it for, you would be supprised at the response you get.

Just a thought if you are worried about the freezer functioning properly.

I did this on my empty chest freezer, and got the temperature up to 37 degrees. Then this weekend I put a 12" collar on it and started up again, and now it's down to -10 degrees. I'm sort of at a loss for how this could have happened. The coarse adjustment knob is still screwed completely in. Either way, I'm probably just going to spring for an external temperature control, but any insight as to what the heck happened, would be welcome.

Some times freezer temperature can fluctuate widely when the freezer is not full enough. After putting on the collar, did you fill the freezer once your build was done?

Just got a Maytag 14.8 freezer (model MQC1552TEW) from Home Depot. Fits 9 ball locks on the floor and a 5# bottle on the corner compressor hump. The thermostat is on the right side of the unit and is super easy to access (two small screws). Once the thermostat unit is out, pop off the plastic knob and just use some pliers to slightly loosen (1/8th turn) the silver nut holding it in place in the plastic housing to get the actual thermostat unit free. The small screw is on the top of the unit (opposite end of the two plugs shown in the picture). It took me 12 turns clockwise to basically dial it into a 40 degree setting with the big knob set between 4 and 5. I might fine tune further, but this is good for now.

Thanks so much to the OP. You just saved me some serious loot. Vote for sticky on this one!

I have this same model, and with a little fiddling, I've been holding a pretty steady 37-38 in my new keezer using just the coarse adjust (and the regular, fine-adjust to dial it in) for nearly a month now. I think I'm satisfied that it is now dialed in at that temp, so I'm pretty sure there'll be no need for an external controller.

Thanks to the OP for getting this started (and letting me know this concept even existed), and mmonacel for being the guinea pig on this model :)

Just an fyi.... I did this to a small chest freezer that i as going to use as a Fermentation chamber. With screw all the way in the warmest i could make it was 55 f. A little col for my ales but usable for lagers. I plan to install a digital thermostat so i can keep it at precise temp.

Yeah, my understanding of the coarse adjustment is that it may not provide enough stability in the temperature for proper fermentation. A bit of a swing in a kegerator is no big deal, as there's a lot more thermal mass in there, and if packaged beer varies a little bit in temp it's no big deal. But you really want precise control over the temperature that your actively fermenting yeast experience. For fermenting, a digital controller is well worth it.

Anyone have an specific photos of how to do this properly to a GE 7.0 cf chest freezer? I have ordered the GE unit, but not received it yet. Wondering if its worth doing this vs buying a temp controller. It will be a keezer, not a ferm chamber.

Well I did my side by side kenmore fridge and freezer last night, and from what I've read it should pretty easy for you too. The part you are looking for is connected to the daily for adjusting the temp. Mine was a little hidden, but I just looked for where the wires we heading and sure enough it lead me there.

Worked Great! Was able to lower the water temp below 40. Fantastic! Thanks for the post!

I'm also trying to LOWER the temp in my Danby DBC120BLS to keep my beers colder. Can you elaborate a little on how you did that... where do I look for the screw? Which way did you turn?

Thanks.

Well I did my side by side kenmore fridge and freezer last night, and from what I've read it should pretty easy for you too. The part you are looking for is connected to the daily for adjusting the temp. Mine was a little hidden, but I just looked for where the wires we heading and sure enough it lead me there.

But a lot of people are claiming they can't get it warm enough without a controller. Reading almost this whole tgread, very few are confirming this works on the majority of chest freezers.

I replaced my thermostat with the STC-1000. Now my freezer is at perfect serving temps. I eventually plan on adding another controller to use a fan and heating element and use the fridge as my controlled fermentation chamber.

I think it would work on any freezer or fridge. With mine screwed all the way in the freezer would cone on at about 58 deg and turn off at 55 deg. So if I backed it out you could definitely get it to keezer serving temp. A fridge works a bit different so if you got the freezer to serving temp the fridge would be to warm. For a free mod it is well worth it. For more precise temp control use the STC-1000 for less than $20.

I installed the STC-1000 digital controller in place of the dial thermostat in my freezer tonight and found that it was way easier than I thought it would be. All the wiring was already there just had to figure out what went where. I used the wires for the light to power the STC-1000, and the 2 wires from the dial thermostat for the cooling side of the controller. I have not hooked up the heating side yet but I will when I put the ferm chamber in the garage. During the winter in Eastern Oregon I will need a heating pad to keep things right.
Over the past few hours I have seen that it cools it about 1.5 deg below the target temp and gets about 0.5 above target temp before it turns on (I have it set at 0.5 off set). That is with and empty freezer so I am sure it will get better with a 6 gal carboy in it.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Home Brew mobile app

I'm new to the forum, but I wanted to contribute my results, in case they would help anyone. I have a Haier 7.1 cf freezer (HNCM070E) that I picked up used last week, and I've been going through the process of tweaking the thermostat.

After turning the coarse adjustment screw 19 times, clockwise, the compressor shuts off around 40-41 degrees, and turns on roughly around 48-50. I've had water in it for the last 10 hours, sitting at just above 40 degrees. I hope this helps.

How can I find out if I ruined my freezer by making this adjustment or just need to readjust something?

My Frigidaire 5 cubic foot freezer now struggles to get around 50 degrees when it used to stay right around freezing after making the adjustment.

It does have an area along the upper left wall that builds up an area of ice along the upper back leftside wall which is above the compressor area. I unplugged it the other night in case something was frozen and removed my temperature controiller, but so far no luck getting it cold again.

Which way do I need to turn my frigidaire cooler to make it colder? I thought I adjusted it correctly since it previously was turning at right at cold level 3 or so, but now turns on immediately, so I assume adjusted it in the right direction.

Any thoughts? My German Altbier I just kegged is nowhere near cold enough for lagering.

Hoping this didn't ruin my freezer or compressor.

Thanks so much for this thread! I'm exciting to tweak my frigidaire chest freezer and get kegging! I already found the coarse adjustment screw (popped off the knob and it was right in the face).

My freezer is now crapping out. I am not sure if it was due to this method, or just buying an old one off craigslist. My freezer hovers at around 52-56 degrees and won't go any colder and it has an ice patch near the top.

I was told the ice patch represents a crack in the freezer lines from stressing the tubing during thermal cycling. I will use it until it dies for the time being, but will be looking for a new one soon. I know there are some models that go slightly above freezing and that will be my plan.

thanks for this thread! i just modified a magic chef wine cooler (basically a mini fridge with a glass door). i found the coarse adjustment screw. if you're looking for it, you'll find it on the left side of the thermostat once you have it out of the plastic housing. a picture is below.

DxKiA2g.jpg

the screw you want is the small one above the little 'window' where you can see the spring.

turn to the LEFT for colder, RIGHT for warmer.

there is a second screw on the front. i assume this is for the range, but i haven't messed with it yet.

Last night I did this mod on my old Kenmore chest freezer (built in 2000, 3rd owner), turning the coarse adjustment screw clockwise all the way in. I checked the temp this morning and it was 41F. I put my keg and CO2 tank inside and can officially call it a keezer now! Many thanks!

I've attached a pic of what the thermostat looks like on my 14 yr old freezer. The arrow points to the piece of tape covering the coarse adjustment screw.

Freezer Thermostat.jpg

Looks like I spoke too soon! With the screw all the way in my freezer gets up to 56F. When I back off the screw a half turn it cools down to 33F. I'll keep messing with it but I can't seem to get it to stay in the 40's.

I just got a Kenmore 8.8cf black freezer and did the adjustment. The screw is behind some tape at the top to the thermostat.

I like my beer cold (36 degrees). I turned the screw 6.5 turns clockwise and its been holding steady with 2 five gallon kegs inside and the thermometer in a 16oz glass of water.

13997368277_5d72601a7c_m.jpg

14180698971_3830487a2d_m.jpg

13997397690_6cb1b2e0d7_n.jpg

Has anyone tried this with a Kenmore Wine fridge model 461.99610? It doesn't get any colder that 7c, I'd like to get it down to 1c for lagering. I am using an external stc-1000 so I spliced to probe's incoming and outgoing wires together to bypass it alltogether.

I just got a Kenmore 8.8cf black freezer and did the adjustment. The screw is behind some tape at the top to the thermostat.

I like my beer cold (36 degrees). I turned the screw 6.5 turns clockwise and its been holding steady with 2 five gallon kegs inside and the thermometer in a 16oz glass of water.

I picked up my Kenmore 8.8 yesterday, found the screw (thanks to your post) and turned 6.5 clockwise. it has been running all night and the temp is up and down by 22 deg. it was at 34 when I set the chefalarm monitor.

It is empty now but I have a few cornys that are scheduled for delivery today. I will fill them with water when they get here and see if the temp stabilizes a little.

IMG_1529.jpg

I picked up my Kenmore 8.8 yesterday, found the screw (thanks to your post) and turned 6.5 clockwise. it has been running all night and the temp is up and down by 22 deg. it was at 34 when I set the chefalarm monitor.

It is empty now but I have a few cornys that are scheduled for delivery today. I will fill them with water when they get here and see if the temp stabilizes a little.

Mine has been rock steady at 36. You might want to put a cup of water in it and then take the water temp (this will be your beer temp) The air temp in mine varies quite a bit. Putting the full corneys in it will also give you a thermal load which will steady your temp. Just make sure to keep them in overnight before you take a temp so it reaches steady state.

One other thing to note is the regular dial thermostat will still work. From my experiments its about 2 degrees per number on the dial so if you get close with the screw you can "dial it in":drunk:

K

Mine has been rock steady at 36. You might want to put a cup of water in it and then take the water temp (this will be your beer temp) The air temp in mine varies quite a bit. Putting the full corneys in it will also give you a thermal load which will steady your temp. Just make sure to keep them in overnight before you take a temp so it reaches steady state.

One other thing to note is the regular dial thermostat will still work. From my experiments its about 2 degrees per number on the dial so if you get close with the screw you can "dial it in":drunk:

K

Mine is dialed in to a consistent 38

Thanks for the tips

Lee

After getting my keezer dialed in at 39* pours, 6 turns clockwise on a 8.8cuft Kenmore. I needed a cellar for storing bottled, kegged and bulk aging beer.

12 clockwise turns on a 14cuft Kenmore turns it into a 50* cellar. It was either that or buy a house with a basement. :eek:

Holiday 7 cu ft bought from Lowes last weekend. Read this thread before I purchased in the hopes it would work. Unfortunately, I have adjusted the screw all the way in, and all the way out (or almost all the way), with the fine adjustment screw at both 1 and 7. Every setting still freezes water inside. Posted pictures of my thermostat below. The screw that I have been adjusting is on the top of the thermostat. I've looked all over for another one, but no luck. Any help?

I have this same thermostat and adjusted the wrong screw as well. I peeled off the sticker as hbrew71 said and found the correct one. Now I'm worried what I have done. Anyone know what the other screw is for?

I'm in the keezer/fermention chamber building stage and have been looking all over for thermostat info. I will definitely try this out.

Could the temperature be set as high as say 64F (18C) for storing demijohns of wine?

I have no cellar so my plan is to insulate the inside of a brick outhouse and take the door off the fridge unit - with the heater element partitioned off of course.

You'll just have to play with the particular thermostat and see what you wind up with.
I set one up for my Wife to use as a "cheese cave", and I think the temp range I shot for was 54-56 degrees F.
It holds it there very well!

Easy on the "coarse" adjustment screw!
Give it a complete turn, and come back to check your progress in a couple of hours.

In my case: clockwise rotation of the screw, raises the temp.

Gave this a whirl on my ongoing keezer build with a GE 5 cubic foot model. With the coarse adjusting screw all the way in and the knob set for 1, after 24+ hours the 5 gallon bucket of water I placed in it was sitting around 33 degrees F. Too cold.

I'm going to see about replacing the thermostat with a refrigerator model that looks nearly the same. It's 9 bucks, so I guess I'll give it a try.

Back