STC-1000 Problems

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SlanginDueces

Reaction score
Just finished these guys and am having some issues with readings. I calibrated with an ice bath but it seems like no matter what I do they won't get the same reading when I put them in my kegerator. They usually differ by at least three degrees. They both seem to fluctuate more then they should. Anyone else have issues like this?

image-1135577108.jpg

I adjusted to 0 but when I move the sensors to a different environment they do not stay consistent with each other.

My guess would be that one of the temp probes is a little out of wack. So if you calibrate them in an ice bath then set them out into an ambient temp situation the temp probe is sending something wrong the the actual controller.

If you do the calibration, then set them out into an ambient temp situation, you could check the reading against another thermometer that you trust. My guess would be only one is out.

In this case you could write to the company and probably have a new probe sent to you, or just order a new 10K probe (which is what I think the STC-1000 uses). Their ridiculously cheap.

You may have areas in your kegerator where the temperature differs. Try putting the probe in the same glass of water and check if they read the same. If not, one of them may be damaged and/or non-linear.

.....I calibrated with an ice bath but it seems like no matter what I do they won't get the same reading when I put them in my kegerator. They usually differ by at least three degrees. They both seem to fluctuate more then they should.....
How are you placing the probes in your kegerator? Attached to, or in, a liquid mass? Or just hanging in air? It can make a quite a difference. The first being the better of the two options.

Is this a keezer? Keezers will generally have relatively hot and cold spots within the air volume, especially while the the compressor is running, unless very good air circulation exists.

It is a danby kegerator. I just taped them to the side of the keg with some insulation. The controllers are for fermentation chambers, I was just testing them. When I get time I'm going to switch the probes and see what happens. Are there any better probes that will work with the STC-1000 out there?

So after calibrating is ice water, you place both probes side-by-side on a keg, cover with insulation and then get different readings? The probes must be off.

Back