propane burner

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a 10 gallon pot, currently make 5 gallon batches, but that could always change

I've also been looking at buying my first burner and I have been leaning toward something by bayou classics. They seem like a good middle ground and have plenty of options.

I bought one last year at Walmart. It's a 60,000 BTU I believe (venturi style) and came with a 42qt Aluminum pot and insert (which I no longer use). Cost around 100.00 in Canada. The burner works great!

I can't rave about the Blichmann burner enough. I have 3 on my single tier. Nicest and most efficient burner available and not much more expensive than the only bayou worth getting. Spend the extra cash. You won't regret it....

Although if you can patch into your natural gas, they make great burners that will save you a ton of $$$ and you don't have to worry about running out.

For 5 gallon batches the SQ-14 is great. If you want to do 10G or more, I think the Blichmann Floor Burner is the way to go. Time to boil is my consideration point...

Gitmoe said:
I can't rave about the Blichmann burner enough. I have 3 on my single tier. Nicest and most efficient burner available and not much more expensive than the only bayou worth getting. Spend the extra cash. You won't regret it....

How fast can you boil/how much propane do you use? I love my banjo burner, but lately I seem to blow through 8# of propane per 12g batch. That gets expensive quick.

How fast can you boil/how much propane do you use? I love my banjo burner, but lately I seem to blow through 8# of propane per 12g batch. That gets expensive quick.

I get 4-5 10 gallon all grain batches out of one propane tank with the Blichmann burner. Brings the 12 gallons up to a boil in 15-20 minutes. It would easily do it faster but you would risk scorching.

Back