Energizer substitute Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MimersMead

Reaction score
Hey All,

Hope your meads are clearing and that explosions are at a minimum!

My brother is coming by tonight to help me bottle a berry/rhubarb mead, so I have an empty carboy! I'm planning on starting up this batch from StormtheCastle:

15 lbs of Honey
4 gallons of spring water
5 teaspoons of yeast nutrient
5 teaspoons of yeast energizer
2 packets of Lalvin 71b-1122 yeast (Sub with Red Star Champagne)

My problem is. My homebrew supply doesn't sell energizer. I picked up a Mead pack from them a little while ago, which contains Fermax yeast nutrient, acid blend, and tannin.

Should I skip adding the nutrient and energizer, and just throw in this pack instead?

Or, should I use the nutrient I have, and find a substitute for the energizer?

Or, should I wait, and try to pick up the energizer from another supplier?

Help is appreciated! Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

Does your LHBS sell diammonium phosphate (DAP)? If no, you can always order online and get it shipped in, and add ASAP. I never add energizer once I am past the 1/3 sugar break.

Do you know anyone locally making wine, even a winery? You would be shocked how many wineries help an amateur in need. Worse case scenario, use a complex B vitamin finely ground, added to hot water to make a slurry.

No one seems to be able to settle with which is which, the terms being used interchangeably.

One should look like white crystals, which is likely pure DAP/di-ammonium phosphate.

The other being a light tan coloured powder. Which is a combined nutrient, containing stuff like yeast hulls, thiamin and other things as well as some DAP.

If you used only one, the tan coloured powder would be the best. I understand that's what Fermax is.......

The 'yeast nutrient' I have (believe it's fermax but the bag is long since gone) is a mixture of fine powder and larger flecks/crystals. Not as large as DAP crystals mind you.

What's your total volume to be on this batch? You do realize that you'll be at over 5 gallons as the recipe stands. Right? Also, 71B-1122 is NOT a champagne strain. It's listed tolerance is 14% (by Lalvin). IF your target volume is 5 gallons, then 71B will do a fine job. IMO, a champagne yeast will ferment the batch to DRY, making you stabilize before back sweetening it (unless you want a bone dry mead).

You can add what you have for nutrient now, and order/get some more to add during the initial time frame (before the 1/3 break).

Back