Cherry mead

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dumpster

Reaction score
Allo, been making mead for about a year now and have got the knack of it (at last) About to start a batch of cherry mead for the first time. I have a recipe which looks excellent but does anyone have any tips to help me along. The recipe has the cherries sitting in the containers while it ferments but I'm a bit nervous about it. Can anyone put my mind at ease before I poison my friends ;-)

I was going to make a cherry mead for my first mead but unfortunately they are out of season here. What is the concern about having the cherries in the ferment? My understanding is that is how it is done. I have a bucket full of watermelon and oranges (my substitute for the cherries on this batch) sitting in my primary right now. I have read that you should make sure and pit all the cherries though.

I'm doing a cherry mead but I'm doing it as a post-ferment blend of dry mead and tart cherry wine with backsweetening. The general rule is that you get less fruit flavor if you add the fruit to primary fermentation.

What kind of cherries are you going to use? I've heard that sweet cherries can result in a cough syrup flavor. Tart cherries are supposed to be better.

In regards to leaving the cherries in the primary, I do that all the time with all kinds of fruit, so I wouldn't think twice about it.

Pitting the cherries would probably be a good idea, it should prevent bitterness.

Scott

I used sweet cherries in my secondary and yes, it will taste like cough syrup for the first year or so. Then it starts to mellow out and tastes really good.

It would be sweet cherries since these are in season locally just now. Thanks for putting my mind at rest about leaving the fruit in, that was the only part I was really worried about. I don't actually mind the cough medicine taste but I can see that it would be a bit yuk for others. Thanks guys, feeling a lot more positive now :)

Back