Dream come true?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1stTimer

Reaction score
I've been offered a full time brewing position at a brewery about to open up here in town. My current job pays well and has great benefits. But I would take a pay cut in order to do something I love full time. My biggest concern is the medical. I have two kids. 16 months and 4 years old. My other concern is what happens if it doesnt do well? Then Im out of work and jobs arent not easy to come by in this area. I’m going Friday for a sit down anyways. I can't imagine saying no. If it were 5 years ago I would have dropped everything and gone. We shall see.

Just wanted to get that out. Thanks.

Congrats on the offer!

That's a tough choice to make. To be honest, IMHO I would stay with the benefits for the kids. Sure you'd love to brew for a living, who wouldn't? But you gotta watch our for them first and yourself second...

Sometimes in life you have to shove your dreams aside for your kids. If your kids where almost out of highschool id say go for it. What if one of your kids gets really sick your screwed? Keep your current job with the great medical. Its about the kids first.

No option of doing it maybe Part Time? How big of a brewery are we talking about? How much are they looking to produce?

Also, check with your state. I know Pennsylvania has CHIP (Childrens Health Insurance Program) which will provide health insurance to kids with parents who qualify depending on their annual income. Just something to look into.

PA49erFan21 said:
Also, check with your state. I know Pennsylvania has CHIP (Childrens Health Insurance Program) which will provide health insurance to kids with parents who qualify depending on their annual income. Just something to look into.

I forgot about that... Actually you can get CHIP regardless of income I believe. It's not the best insurance and finding a local provider can be a pain but its worth looking into.

I'm not sure what capacity they are looking at. Should find out Friday. As far as the insurance goes SWMBO is a doctor and is about to go back to full time. Right now she is prn(as needed). Once she is full time she will get benefits back. I think I'm more concerned about what happens if the brewery isn't successful. I'd never do anything that would take insurance away from the kids. Guess I'm just comfortable in this job after 7 years. But brewing is all I do and all I think about when I'm not at work.

I forgot about that... Actually you can get CHIP regardless of income I believe. It's not the best insurance and finding a local provider can be a pain but its worth looking into.

Yes. Depending how much you make you fall into a certain tier. I've had it for my twin boys when they were born as my wife lost her job and I was the only person bringing in an income. We actually qualified for free health insurance with no deductables through Hgh Mark. It was nice and never had any problems with it.

Your wife is a Dr? Start your own brewery! Just kidding, I would go for it and get on her benefit plan when she goes back to work.

If the hospital gets back to her soon with their offer I think I'm going to go for it. I like my job now but its not something I want to be doing in 5 years. And if I did turn this offer down who knows if something like this will come around again. I do plan on giving my own place a try in a few years. But I'd never want to try to open a place of my own without having worked at one first. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't more excited than I've been in a long time.

It's a gamble, that's for sure, so you just have to weigh the risk with rewards and see what comes out. Personally, the ability to get into something on the ground floor highly depends on how sound their business plan is. I would want to know if they conducted any market research, secured distribution channels, have had sample products sent out to local establishments, secured financing, how long out will it be before they are profitable, etc. Pretty much see if they have a sound business plan and if that sounded kosher and had been confirmed (by obtaining credit lines, sales contracts, etc) I would be more likely to risk a move. If they have none of that planned out I would run away like the building was on fire. 9 out of 10 businesses fail in the first 2 years, so make sure they have done the work on the business side to give their company a fighting chance. Good Luck!

Go into it with realistic expectations that some micros want you to follow only their recipes and plans as they have them laid out regardless of what process you know to be correct. This can be the killer for any "dream job".

Talk to them about what they are expecting you to do and how much input you will be allowed for recipes, procedures, scheduling, etc.

Just my 2 cents. Long story short. I once took a pay cut to follow my dreams and take a job involving my life's greatest passion. The honeymoon period lasted longer than most jobs and in general it was a great experience. What I came to find out is that when it comes down to it a job is a job and there are things about any job you are going to dislike(even if the job involves something you love dearly). I have since returned to a "normal" life and job. The outcomes of this situation were the following:

1. A more reasonable expectation of how much enjoyment I can expect out of any job
2. A healthier attitude about the separation of work and play
3. It has changed the hobby for me. In some ways good, and in some ways bad.
4. I know that I have tried it and have no regrets in that respect.

I don't have kids, and don't truly "get it" as far as what responsibility you have to them over yourself, so I cant speak to that. I would generally say that if you are content in your job and life right now, then keep the hobby a hobby. If you feel you need to do this, then none of the rest really matters, you'll figure everything else out and make it work. I guess the main thing to think about is how would this affect your current career trajectory if you took a couple year hiatus from your current path and then came back to it(if the brewing thing doesn't work out).

Wow. Thanks everyone. I mean it. This is some great input. I have more questions now and better questions to ask of them. And as far as following my current path, this job isn’t what I want to do. There isn’t anywhere to go. I am a planner and there is no position to move onto. It is what it is.

I’m going to hit them with a bunch of questions and see what they see. The wife is fully supportive of whatever decision I make. That is as long as she is back full time and has the insurance. She knows how passionate I am about brewing. And I hear you about a job being a job. That’s another hesitation I have. Right now nothing makes me happier than brewing. I’m afraid that could change. But at the same time this is something I have wanted to give a shot for years. If I don’t like it, at least I will know. I will certainly keep everyone posted. Going to sit down Friday and have a few beers with the owner. His idea. And we will see what comes of it. Could be a turning point in my life. More excited than scarred.

I understand your wife doesn't have the job yet, but if she is a doctor, she should have plenty of places to work and finding a job should not be hard for her. Once she has something lined up you both should be set as far as income goes. I can't imagine she'd be making chump change. Many of us do not have the option of our wives being a doctor and should be able to provide for your family. Again, I realize she doesn't have a job yet but he said she'd have something soon. You have to know your finances and what you can do, but I just hearing how much you want to do this, I'd waste little time and go for it. You said yourself you aren't planning on being there more than 5 years at your current job. If this new one doesn't work out, it sounds like you'd be at the same spot you will be in, in a few years anyways. Do it.

Wow. Thanks everyone. I mean it. This is some great input. I have more questions now and better questions to ask of them. And as far as following my current path, this job isn’t what I want to do. There isn’t anywhere to go. I am a planner and there is no position to move onto. It is what it is.

I’m going to hit them with a bunch of questions and see what they see. The wife is fully supportive of whatever decision I make. That is as long as she is back full time and has the insurance. She knows how passionate I am about brewing. And I hear you about a job being a job. That’s another hesitation I have. Right now nothing makes me happier than brewing. I’m afraid that could change. But at the same time this is something I have wanted to give a shot for years. If I don’t like it, at least I will know. I will certainly keep everyone posted. Going to sit down Friday and have a few beers with the owner. His idea. And we will see what comes of it. Could be a turning point in my life. More excited than scarred.

Just quick personal experience that may or may not apply so take it as you like:

I have been a photographer since I was in the 3rd grade, developing my own negatives and prints at that point and technically I have "the eye" along with the ability to meter on the fly. With a wide variety of interests I started taking photos for myself and friends while competing in events and on fun runs, I would post these pics online and share away...it was fulfilling and I enjoyed it as a hobby.

From these postings I was contacted by a magazine that was starting up to be on the photography team with travel and expenses paid, good image useage, rights, pay and advertising options...couldn't be a better option for someone like me right?

So I signed up and for about 8 years I travelled...a lot, averaging 48 weekends a year travelling to events and runs. Reimbursement on expenses was a little slow but was acceptable, hours on the computer editing a couple thousand images for delivery on deadline was tiring but I got efficient and loved being friends with peoople in the industry doing what I loved and getting paid for it.

Then the first mag went down, got optioned to another and a couple years later it started flaking out on pay and reimbursement, then they had internal issues and I left to be picked up by a third magazine which folded while on my first assignment.

I haven't picked up a camera more than a dozen times in the last 6 years because of this. In fact only in the last month have I started doing small shoots for a friends freestyle team based on a trade deal.

Whats the point of this small rant, well I guess it is that your passion for a hobby doesn't always translate well into a dream job so look at every angle possible and make sure everything is sealed up in contracts before you rush in head first.

Now I must go back to my brewing (it's my day job):tank:

I agree. And the wife does have a job its just what they call prn. Its part time but the advantage is its hourly pay. So she has been making a good amount but without benefits. If she goes back to full time it will be slightly less pay but she will have benefits. Since I work for the government my health care is really good. But the more I think out loud the more I realize how much I do want that job. Who knows. Can't wait till Friday.

Go for your dream, look for and solutions not or solutions. Like how can you take this job AND provide insurance? Work together with your wife, sounds like she is supportive. A good book to read is Great by choice by Jim Collins

I agree. And the wife does have a job its just what they call prn. Its part time but the advantage is its hourly pay. So she has been making a good amount but without benefits. If she goes back to full time it will be slightly less pay but she will have benefits. Since I work for the government my health care is really good. But the more I think out loud the more I realize how much I do want that job. Who knows. Can't wait till Friday.

Cost will be higher, but if you are sure she will be going full time, or if she is making enough on the hourly thing, you can always go COBRA for (18 mos I think).

Also you will probalby change your outlook on brewing when it becomes a job, but a lot better to find out doing it for someone else before sinking time and money into your own startup

That last reply of mine was to the person before. But I agree with and understand what you're saying. I plan on being very cautious which is the only reason I didn't say yes immediately. I appreciate you sharing your experience. Lots to think about.

Good luck man. I am going to subscribe to this thread. If you do take it you should give periodic updates as to how your thoughts on brewing have changed, if you love it more, if you find it boring after time. I'd love to do the same, I hope it works out for you.

That's a great idea man. I will most certainly do that. Starting this Friday with the interview.

working for an organization that is just starting up, I can tell you it is challenging. Now, I'm not in the brewing business, but I am faced every day with the reality that this business (I'm not the owner, btw) may fail at any time and they will close up shop leaving me without work. To be honest I hate my job, but I think it's more of function of my industry rather than the start-up aspect. I'm glad I'm not in your shoes because I don't think I could turn down a brewing job, all things considered like insurance from your wife. Do I regret taking my current position? Yes, but I think I would have regretted it more NOT taking it and having a steady income. Something to think about for sure, I would just hate to say "what if I had only taken that brewing job...?". That would kill me hahaha

Quick update. Guy didnt show for the interview. Apologized and called me to set up another one. i said unless its part time, no thanks. These guys are already almost 2 years behind schedule and then they cant call to tell me the interview cant happen? I took a half day off of work for it. Oh well. We will see what happens.

Quick update. Guy didnt show for the interview. Apologized and called me to set up another one. i said unless its part time, no thanks. These guys are already almost 2 years behind schedule and then they cant call to tell me the interview cant happen? I took a half day off of work for it. Oh well. We will see what happens.

Read the signs.....I'd be worried.

Ehh, not too disappointing. I was pretty sure I wasnt going to take a full time position. These guys have been late on everything. I wouldnt risk my current pay and insurance for that.

Back