Another ammature question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amurphyz

Reaction score
Question: why the temperature alarm from the pid? Isn't that what the pid does, control the temp, turning on and off the element to keep a constant temp? So what is the alarm for? Again, newbie here, my panel is all laid out and wiring is started, just wondering. As always, thanks for all the input!!

You gotta remember the PID wasn't designed specifically for brewing. You could also establish the alarm to go off when temp is met, that way you know the strike water is ready. Personally on my previous setup I did not wire the alarm. For my BT build I will, but then again it will also tell me when to add hops :)

If I were to incorporate an alarm it would be used as a reminder to begin the countdown.

So it's more of a reminder, or check list thing than an actual "alarm" I'd you will. It's not like having an alarm is a vital part of a brew session, more of a personal preference in a brewing procedure?

So it's more of a reminder, or check list thing than an actual "alarm" I'd you will. It's not like having an alarm is a vital part of a brew session, more of a personal preference in a brewing procedure?

Yep personal preference, I dont use mine. It could also be set at 210ish so that you know when your wort is about to boil!

yea, I would think of it like an oven. You set the temp, the alarm goes off when pre-heated.

For my HLT, I use the PID alarm to protect against a failed SSR. The alarm contact is in series with the coil of the contactor and is set to drop out if the temperature goes above 180F.

Back