Syracuse, ny - round 7 group grain buy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
GRAIN SHIPMENT ARRIVED!

Just so you know, it looks like we just received grain, so plan on Saturday pick up for sure.

I still need to hear from a couple of you about your refunds/etc. Please get back to me asap

There will be an email update if we run into any snags with order fulfillment.

Thanks

Pliny is good but a bit over rated IMO. Every couple months a friend who lives out that way sends me beer mail. Next time I will have him send me a couple extra Pliny for you to try cidah. I do love Russian rivers funky and sour beers though.

I would REALLY like to try the russian rivers and Pliny. Have heard a lot about russian river sours etc. as well. If feasible I would love the opportunity. PM me and I can toss you some cash etc. as needed. If it is a PITA I will take an extra anything or two :D

I wanted to try the RR brews prior to doing my belgian specialty ale with the brett. But could not find any.

Cidah, I will talk to him about sending a second package. When you get some free time check out the Russian river website and let me know what your interested in. What I normally do is send him a package of east coast beers. We could probably work it out so he could just send the package to you. You could just send him some beers that he can't get.

In the last package he sent me a couple green flash pallet wreckers. It's absolutely amazing! If you can get your hands on it you should def try it! I personally liked it more than Pliny.

Cidah, I will talk to him about sending a second package. When you get some free time check out the Russian river website and let me know what your interested in. What I normally do is send him a package of east coast beers. We could probably work it out so he could just send the package to you. You could just send him some beers that he can't get.

Sounds good. Probably will look into it after the buy wraps up :D

If he has a wish list of brews from here please let me know. I know it will be really easy to fill up a box, about how many brews do you typically ship?

I will be sure to add the green flash pallet wreckers to my request list!

I do about a dozen depending on bottle size. I've got a few bottles of Ithaca lebleu for him this time so probably less.

I do about a dozen depending on bottle size. I've got a few bottles of Ithaca lebleu for him this time so probably less.

very cool. Will look forward to setting that up - thanks!

Ithaca lebleu looks like something I would love to try and my wife... would kill for

The lebleu is fantastic! I got 2 cases when it was released this year. I traded away a bunch of it and have about 6 bottles left. If I decide to trade anymore your first in line. The problem being that they aren't brewing it again..... And my fiancé loves it!

The lebleu is fantastic! I got 2 cases when it was released this year. I traded away a bunch of it and have about 6 bottles left. If I decide to trade anymore your first in line. The problem being that they aren't brewing it again..... And my fiancé loves it!

Drat!! It is probably not a very cost effective brew for them

Definitely keep me in mind if you do trade anymore. I see a long line of sours in my future. My wife likes the fruity tastes from belgians and sours but not from from apples beers or things like that. Just classic, beers that are super long to condition and finicky haha.

Exactly how mine is..... The only beer she will drink at all Is sours. Have you and her tried rodenbach grand cru? My swmbo loves it.

Speaking of sours does anyone have a tried and true Flanders or Berliner weisse recipe?

Exactly how mine is..... The only beer she will drink at all Is sours. Have you and her tried rodenbach grand cru? My swmbo loves it.

Speaking of sours does anyone have a tried and true Flanders or Berliner weisse recipe?

I have not. Sadly I have been holding back on buying more of the sours because every time she tries one she asks me to brew it... haha Takes too much real estate up to do more that every once in a while. Will put that on the list though.

So, while chilling my Oktoberfest, my immersion chiller opened up in my kettle. My first lager. Such a disappointment (has to edit that part). So am hoping I can save it... Placed it in the fermentation chamber and waiting for it to cool down a little more, then I will pitch the yeast starter. Ended up with 6.5 gallons of whatever at 1.045. Was supposed to be 1.059 at 5.5 gallons

Time for another drink. W

So, while chilling my Oktoberfest, my immersion chiller opened up in my kettle. My first lager. Such a disappointment (has to edit that part). So am hoping I can save it... Placed it in the fermentation chamber and waiting for it to cool down a little more, then I will pitch the yeast starter. Ended up with 6.5 gallons of whatever at 1.045. Was supposed to be 1.059 at 5.5 gallons

Time for another drink. W

ugh! I know that feeling. You could take a gallon off and boil it down to nearly nothing (or a half or so) and pour back in. Since it is a lager it shouldn't hugely impact your bittering (assume your hops were at 60 minutes only?). But you may as well just roll with it and have an extra gallon of beer.

My Torpedo is now actually a 150 minute IPA... I wasn't paying attention and oversparged. So I decided to just boil it down to my preboil volume then resume, about 150 minute total in boil time haha. Will see how it turns out.

GRAIN IS IN AND COUNTED! :rockin:

photo_19_.JPG

All bags were accounted for, all grain splits were completed by Cidah and his buddy. All hops were split by TwoGunz and myself. Took alittle over 5 hours to count, sort, split, mark, and stack. Its not easy measuring out 220 1lb baggies of hops lol.

We are all set for THIS SATURDAY'S PICKUP. Pickup is from 10:15-12NOON June 2nd. Pull around to the NORTH side of the building (the right side if you are looking at the front door). We will load directly out the side door into your car/truck.

Love that picture Jeff! :D

A couple things:
1. Please double check your order when you get it, make sure you got the right stuff an no one extras!
2. Make sure you grab the "right" Brian bags ;)
3. Your pickup will be staged in three piles or so (2row pallet; Hops bag/box; splits).

PLEASE RESPOND ASAP

We need to clear the warehouse ASAP so it does not obstruct the business activities at Busch Products. PLEASE RESPOND TO THE THREAD OR TO ME DIRECTLY ABOUT PICKUP. We need to know who will be picking up SAT for 100% sure - Let me know your intentions.

Picking up Saturday:

Drmark50 - Need verification of pickup

bierhaus15 - Sat (hops, second person to grab the grain)
gcdowd - Sat
wheadman66 - Sat (twogunz picking up)
Racin_NY - Sat
Strecker25 - Sat
jdowling - Sat

DBush20 - Sat (self)
Cgondoli1 - Sat (self, CBK and Smashing)
CBK - Sat (cgondoli1 picking up)
Smashing - Sat (cgondoli1 picking up)

DannSchuler - Sat or sooner (self)
BryanJ - Sat (also erikrocks)
erikrocks - Sat (Bryanj)
t-booneyay - Sat (westos father)
Westo2 - Sat (westos father)

bellinmi88 - Sat (Brother Nick)
brian4508 - Sat (self)

-----------

Picked up Already:
Jeffb418
twogunz
CidahMastah
Rustbucket - at my house []
Copyright - at my house [maybe saturday]
Mparsons - at my house [picking up tonight]

-----------------------------------------------
HOP ALPHA ACIDS
-----------------------------------------------
HU-90CLM Columbus - 11.1%
HU-90MTH Mt Hood - 6.1%
HU-90GSZ Saaz - 3.4%
HU-90GMG Magnum - 14.5%
HU-90EKG East Kent Golding - 4.8%
HU-90CAS Cascade - 5.9%
HU-90CTP Centennial Type - 9.7%
HU-90FGL Fuggle - 5.3%
HU-90WLT Willamette - 5.0%
HU-90TNG Tettnang - 6.1%
HU-90NBR Northern Brewer - 8.6%
HU-90GPR Perle - 7.5%
HU-90WAR Warrior - 16%
HU-90MTF Mittlefruh (Hallertauer) - 4.5%
HU-90SMT Summit - 17.9%
HU‐90STG Styrian Golding - 4%

-------------------------------
Loose Ends
-------------------------------
rustbucket $93.23 92 [$1.23]

Cgondoli1 $189.69 204

Awesome - very excited to get this order to the house.

I finally got around to buying beersmith - so last night I went through and inventoried everything that I have on hand and got the program all set up.

Now just waiting on this stuff and I'll be going on 4 lagers in 3 days. I figure if I've got to set my fermentation chamber down for 2 months, I may as well fill it.

Thanks for all your effort guys! It had to be pretty cool seeing that many hops all together.

Cidah - I replied to Jeff's email this morning, but my father will be picking up during the specified time period for myself and T-Booneyay.

Also - for the next order, are we able to order bottle caps from them? I saw that they have them listed in a qty of 10,000 - I figure that would last me for years.

My brother Nick will be picking up for me Sat.

If he can come early (today or tomorrow) do I need to arrange that ahead of time?

Westo - Not sure on the bottle caps. I think I recall them not being available based on a previous posting from another buy. However we can always ask (remind me).

I know waterloo container sells caps too, worst case I bet you could get a great deal from them, particularly if you can pick them up on site (they do ship). They also have SUPER cheap 12 and 22oz beer bottles, wine and champagne bottles and carboys.

SEE POST 1015 for the hop alpha acids

Cgondoli1 is picking up for me. Am pretty sure he will be picking up for Smashing as well.

What do you mean by ASAP?

If you are looking to clear some out before Saturday I can pick mine up tonight or tomorrow night. I live about 2 miles from the warehouse.

Otherwise I will be there Saturday with everyone else.

On another topic, where do you guys get your CO2? My tank is just about empty again. I will probably just run to sunset but they are on the side of the city for me. I am half a mile from Wren but I can never get there when he is open.

Saturday at 10:15 is the earliest time for pickup from the pickup location.Please don't show up before Saturday. No one there right now knows where everything is. TwoGunz and I will be there on Saturday to help pick out everything.

What do you mean by ASAP?

On another topic, where do you guys get your CO2? My tank is just about empty again. I will probably just run to sunset but they are on the side of the city for me. I am half a mile from Wren but I can never get there when he is open.

thanks Dan.

I get my co2 at airgas in east syracuse but used to get it at haun gas. If you are a member of the salt city brew club you get a discount on the price of CO2 and Nitro beergas mix. I can't recall what the prices are though...

regarding the ASAP - I just meant it is crucial to clear the bags out on Saturday, in their entirety if possible.

Saturday at 10:15 is the earliest time for pickup from the pickup location. Please don't show up before Saturday. No one there right now knows where everything is. TwoGunz and I will be there on Saturday to help pick out everything.

No problem, when he said ASAP I wasn't sure if something came up and you needed to get it emptied out earlier.

I will be there on Saturday probably around 11.

Thanks.

thanks Dan.

I get my co2 at airgas in east syracuse but used to get it at haun gas. If you are a member of the salt city brew club you get a discount on the price of CO2 and Nitro beergas mix. I can't recall what the prices are though...

regarding the ASAP - I just meant it is crucial to clear the bags out on Saturday, in their entirety if possible.

ooh, right next to Erwan's. Maybe I will go grab dinner and CO2.

I will give them a try, thanks.

Speaking of the Brew Club. How many people here are a member? I have yet to check them out, but I always mean to.

ooh, right next to Erwan's. Maybe I will go grab dinner and CO2.

I will give them a try, thanks.

Speaking of the Brew Club. How many people here are a member? I have yet to check them out, but I always mean to.

I joined but to be honest the first meeting I went to was a little too basic and the focus was on tasting commercial beers with a few lone home brew growlers.

The resident grand master brewer guy answered a question about hops where he laboriously indicated that hops at 60 minutes were for "bittering" and hops later in the boil were for "aroma". I think that is explained in just about anything you read related to brewing, so it was largely unhelpful and didn't relate the the actual question the asker had. (question was "are any commercial beers made without a 60 minute bittering hop addition")

I might have just caught an off day, but it felt like it should have been more home brew focused. There was a big turn out. My format would be more like a home brewer or two brings in a batch (or growlers) for the meetings on a rotation. There must have been over 40 people there easy. You do get some good discounts though.

All said, I tend to be a nut about research and learning about brewing (and any other hobby I take on). So perhaps that was helpful to some folks.

CidahMastah said:
I joined but to be honest the first meeting I went to was a little too basic and the focus was on tasting commercial beers with a few lone home brew growlers.

The resident grand master brewer guy answered a question about hops where he laboriously indicated that hops at 60 minutes were for "bittering" and hops later in the boil were for "aroma". I think that is explained in just about anything you read related to brewing, so it was largely unhelpful and didn't relate the the actual question the asker had. (question was "are any commercial beers made without a 60 minute bittering hop addition")

I might have just caught an off day, but it felt like it should have been more home brew focused. There was a big turn out. My format would be more like a home brewer or two brings in a batch (or growlers) for the meetings on a rotation. There must have been over 40 people there easy. You do get some good discounts though.

All said, I tend to be a nut about research and learning about brewing (and any other hobby I take on). So perhaps that was helpful to some folks.

I too am a member and was hoping for more. I'm going to give it another run in June. Seems to be meeting based and not a 'club' if that makes sense.

I too am a member and was hoping for more. I'm going to give it another run in June. Seems to be meeting based and not a 'club' if that makes sense.

I agree.

I personally believe that there is more knowledge, experience and comradery on the Syracuse NY Group Buy thread than there is in the SSBC.

I wish no ill will on the club, and like what it is attempting to do. I joined up in the hope that it would improve.

I agree.

I personally believe that there is more knowledge, experience and comradery on the Syracuse NY Group Buy thread than there is in the SSBC.

I wish no ill will on the club, and like what it is attempting to do. I joined up in the hope that it would improve.

I am still thinking about checking it out, if even to just network with other home brewers.

But I see all these things like club night at the NHC (on video of course, I have not been yet) and hear podcasts from people in clubs and it all sounds exciting. So that is what I have been expecting.

When I first looked the club's website it seemed like they were not doing much. But looking now it seems like they have improved a lot.

I am still thinking about checking it out, if even to just network with other home brewers.

I would absolutely recommend that

Also, you should look into joining the AHA. We were just talking about this last night while splitting up the buy. You get a free zymurgy subscription and it gives strength to home brewers.

Well if the brew club goes the way it is going without improvements, then we start our own. Brew trades, brew dates, yeast strain trades, recipe sharing etc. make it more about the homebrew that what other commercially brewed beers that are out there. More about enjoying the brewing of HB (along with a few drinks of course)

More like a 'poker night' but with HB

Also - for the next order, are we able to order bottle caps from them? I saw that they have them listed in a qty of 10,000 - I figure that would last me for years.

I tried getting bottle caps in the Pittsburgh area group buy. For some reason, Country Malt said they wouldn't ship them. (I travel to Pittsburgh a couple times a year and figured bottle caps are good to sit there.)

brian4508 said:
Well if the brew club goes the way it is going without improvements, then we start our own. Brew trades, brew dates, yeast strain trades, recipe sharing etc. make it more about the homebrew that what other commercially brewed beers that are out there. More about enjoying the brewing of HB (along with a few drinks of course)

More like a 'poker night' but with HB

That would be pretty cool. Maybe do quaterly meetings for all those out-of-towners.

I would be up for starting a club! Maybe do bi monthly meetings/ group brews. We could also plan them at the same time of grain buy pick ups.

Back