geek question involving alpha acids

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dragonfly

Reaction score
OK, so I was under the impression that alpha acids were hydrophobic, and had to isomerize in order to dissolve into water... does this sound familiar?

On p 64 of the Homebrewer's Companion Papazian says "Recall that alpha acids must be dissolved before they can become isomerized and affect beer bitterness."

just a curiousity kind of question...

oh, and did anyone see the IU-Duke game? we were SO close! :D

Dragonfly said:
On p 64 of the Homebrewer's Companion Papazian says "Recall that alpha acids must be dissolved before they can become isomerized and affect beer bitterness."
I don't think Charlie is a chemist...he could be a little muddled in the details.

Dragonfly said:
oh, and did anyone see the IU-Duke game? we were SO close! :D
IU should have isomerized ealier. ;)

Gregory Noonan - New Brewing Lager Beer "The alpha acids have no aroma but are intensley bitter. They are responsible for the hops' bacteriostatic contribution the the brew. Alpha acids (humulone, cohumulone, and adhumulone) are isomerized during boiling (their atroms are rearranged) to somewhat soluble and even more iso-alpha acids. In contrast, the beta acids (lupulone, colupulone, and adlupulone) are far less stable than alpha acids, are extremely subject to oxidation, and are only slightly soluble. They become even less soluble as the hot wort cools, and are deposited in the trub as an amorphous yellow precipitate." :D

IANAC, but I think you've got it right. The alpha acids are normally insoluble, but are isomerized during the boil and dissolve into the wort.

billybrew said:
You don't really even know what you're saying do you? You're just trying to impress us, right? ;)

:eek:

while I pique myself on my mastery of all things brewing, I do find it rather laborious to showboat online.

[dictated but not read]

El Pistolero said:
IU should have isomerized ealier. ;)

now, that's just not fair.

I don't think Charlie is a chemist...he could be a little muddled in the details.[/QUOTE said:
I guess not - that just goes to show that those "insignificant" details aren't necessarily required to brew amazing beer consistently... or maybe Charlie's just a badass :cross:

Back