Pre-Prohibition Amber Lager

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

waldoar15

Reaction score
Who want's to pick this recipe apart?

I've been playing around with this for a few months, and it's just an attempt at a Yuengling clone to be honest.

7 lbs 6 row.
1 lb Munich.
2 lb flaked maize.
.75 lb C 80.
2 oz Chocolate Malt
2 oz Honey Malt

Mash 152* for 90 minutes
Boil 90 Minutes
.75 oz Cluster@ 60 minutes
.25 oz Cascade @30 minutes
.25 oz Cascade @ flame out

yeast,,, 2112, safale 34/70 or S-23.

I've used all three. To be honest, I'm just kind of bored this winter and this is just a kind of "can you brew it" sort of thing. :p

viewFile.html

Wait, have you brewed this before (picture?) or looking to brew it for the first time? Regardless, I would probably drop the honey malt and chocolate.

Wait, have you brewed this before (picture?) or looking to brew it for the first time? Regardless, I would probably drop the honey malt and chocolate.

I've brewed 20 gallons of it. ;) It started without the chocolate malt and the honey.

The little bit of chocolate just ended up in there to adjust the color and the little bit of honey malt finally ended up in there for that touch of back sweetness that Yuengleng has and I had a hard time getting it.

I took some of it from here:

http://rreu.11net.com/yuengling/newsarticles/pville_repub/www.pottsville.com_pub_1997_Aug_16_c5509350.htm

I don't mind the critique, I asked for it. ;)

How does it taste?

Pretty close.

I merged a few recipes based on this plus the other in the article and went from there.

5 lbs. Lager or pils malt (not enough base malt)
1 lbs. Munich Malt
7/8 lb. American Caramel 80°-90 L (Homemade) per HDB instructions
1.5 lbs. Corn Grits
.75 oz. Cluster (Pellets, 7.00 %AA) boiled 60 minutes.
.25 oz. Centennial (Pellets, 10 %AA) boiled 15 minutes. (or 1/2 5% cascade)
.25 oz. Centennial (Pellets, 10 %AA) @ knockout. (or 1/2 5% cascade)
North american lager yeast or even a neutral ale yeast works well!

Brew with american double mash/CAP procedure

14 days primary
4-6 wks secondary

If you read the link in the post above, it says they use Cascades as a finishing hops. If you want to go by the definition of a CAP, then you shouldn't use them.

i dont have the ability to crash cool my lagers and my basement is getting too warm by this time, what type of high temp (65 F) fermenting lager yeast would be close to an american lager type yeast? kolsch and california lager are what i have in mind.

i dont have the ability to crash cool my lagers and my basement is getting too warm by this time, what type of high temp (65 F) fermenting lager yeast would be close to an american lager type yeast? kolsch and california lager are what i have in mind.

White Labs' website says WLP060 produces beer that tastes "lager-like." I've used it on some pale ales and it's come out pretty good: http://www.whitelabs.com/beer/strains_wlp060.html

San Francisco Lager yeast will produce beer at ale temperatures but it will definitely taste like an ale, not a lager.

Latest posts

Back