Co2 or CO2/nitrogen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

llain

Reaction score
I just bought a 19liter Cornelius keg. I still have to buy the gas cylinder for it. I live in Dublin and bought the keg from U.K. I was informed that they could not supply the gas cylinder because they were not allowed to ship them across water. I found a supplier in Ireland. They told me that they can supply me with pure CO2 or a mixture of 50% CO2 and 50% nitrogen. Which would be better.

Thanks
Niall

I've never used kegs, but from what I understand, the mix is good if you want to have something like Guinness on tap - that smooth, creamy head is a product of being served with nitrogen. Naturally, you can serve any beer style that way, but Guinness is one of the few commercial breweries I can think of that do it. CO2 alone will get you the fizzy carbonation.

You can serve any beer with a CO2/N mixture, however you cannot easily use this gas to force carbonate. I say easily, because it may be possible using a carbonation stone, but I would think you would not have a very robust carbonation.

It seemed to me when I was in Ireland all of the beers were served using CO2/N and all beers were poured from stout faucets. The difference was that Carlings, Bud and and like beers had the restrictor plate removed from the faucet and Guinness and like beers had the plate intact.

So if you want to use beer gas, you can prime kegs with corn sugar like you would with bottles (natural carbonation).

The first thing to do is ask if they will allow you to fill either gas in the same cylinder and use the same regulator. If they will, you could try both methods.

References:

http://www.northernbrewer.com/documentation/Hi-Res/kegging-system.pdf
http://www.northernbrewer.com/documentation/Hi-Res/nitro%20system.pdf
http://www.northernbrewer.com/documentation/Hi-Res/deluxe-nitro-system.pdf

The N2 is not easily dissolved into the beer so you can achieve higher pressures in your keg without over carbonating your beer. This is useful for when you have to push your beer a long way through the lines, say 50-100 feet. If you used enough CO2 to get the beer to the other end, you would have nothing but foam at the tap. The nitrogen allows the higher pressures.

I priced the stuff when I got my tank filled a few weeks back. The price was more than double the price of CO2.
But I'm in the US your price may be different

You'll need a different regulator AFAIK. I use co2 and have no problem getting a head on any of my brews. Easier to carbonate with and cheaper too boot, my vote is for the co2.

Here is my APA freshly kegged and force (shaken) carbed with CO2.

Trust me, the head on this brew is thick and has more to do with the ingredients than the gas.

APA_Kegged.jpg

Latest posts

Back