a little taste of Germany

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeffg

Reaction score
I did some sampling last night in Boston's last remaining german restaurant:

I started with a Hoffbrau Munich Original lager on draft--a nice wasy to ease in. Basically to me this is what all sh*t domestic beer should taste like.

Round two I had to try a bottle of Uriege Sticke altbier (and I probably did not spell that right). THis is actually the first authentic Dussledorf alt i have ever had (since i've never been to Germany). Outstanding beer--malty, spicy, a nice copper color, nice mix of malt and hops. This beer had me feeling a lot better about the Alt I made last winter as i could immediately recognize the style and flavor on the fist sip. I'd like to get a case of this to keep around. Oh, and very cool grolsch-style bottle.

Round Three--I wish I could remeber the brand (it had a red label), but they had a Kolsch that came in 500 ml bottles and since i had brewed one of these last spring I decided I should try the real thing as I've otherwise only had American versions. It was a lot different than i expected--it was the driest beer I've ever had. I have only come close to achieveing such a dry beer by using honey, but this was dry and crisp without residual sweetness. it did have a hint of fruit/ester flavor, almost champange-like. Good, but it felt like a hangover beer for some reason.

Round Four--had to finish it off with an Optimator since they have it on draft. it was like desert.

They had Saison Dupont and La Fin du Mond (sp.) in bottles, neither of which i've tried but from you folks here sound like beers I should give a whirl next time.

Oh, and Jake's special of a braut and knockworst with sourkraut and warm german potato salad..........as close as you can get to Germany on a cold night in Boston. :mug:

jeffg said:
Oh, and Jake's special of a braut and knockworst with sourkraut and warm german potato salad...
That's funny...but you don't know it...braut means bride in German...:D :D :D :D

I have a similarly funny story from my first time in Germany.

A bunch of us went to a pizza place and only 1 guy spoke German (or so we thought). He ordered 2 pizza'a "mit kasse" (kae-zza) when it should have been kase (KA-za)...in short he was trying to order a pizza with the cashier and not cheese.

:eek: I am a terrible speller. I found the Kolsch on line--it was Reissdorf.

i must visit Germany.

homebrewer_99 said:
As a beer drinker I MUST insist that Germany and Belgium become our Mecca and Medina...:D;):drunk:
Another old joke but nicely re-worked HB!:D

Back