Bottles ruined?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NorCalHB

Reaction score
So I had about 10 bottles that I wanted to get the labels off of.. I filled my sink with hot water and added a few drops of soap (dont ask why. I was not thinking). Anyways, I got the labels off just fine, but, do the bottles have a layer of soap film in them now that will ruin my beer when I bottle? Is there anyway to salvage these bottles?

If you have really hard water you might be able to get the film off with a starsan solution. An acidic solution helps to break the film.

If a thorough rinse doesn't work try an acid bath. 3-4 oz. white vinegar/5 gal water and soak for 24 hours. starsan soak should also work.

I use soap to get certain labels off as well. If you don't rinse the soap out, your beer will be affected. If you rinse them, you'll be fine.

I rinsed them... I just dont remember if I rinsed them several times.. Something tells me I just rinsed them until there was no more soap bubbles. Also, I only used about 2-3 drops of soap in the sink full of water..If there is a soap film in the bottles, how will it affect my beer? No head, bad taste?

Back