filtering trub, or filter befor fermete

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dapozer

Reaction score
This is pain in the..........I am using a large funnel and a screen in the bottom that gets clogged all the time, is there a better way? a different strainer? help. straining is taking me more than 45 min to get it into the primary.
Shawn

Don't filter in to the primary, it won't hurt anything to leave the trub in there. Or if you prefer start to use a 5gal paint strainer bag for the hops in you boil, that's what I do.

If you have a bottling bucket (bucket w/ spigot) start with dumping your wort in there before the fermenter. Give it 15-20 minutes to settle and open the spigot to dump in your fermenter. Hopefully the spigot sits high enough off the bottom not to suck up the trub. If does just be sure to discard the first runnings until it clears. It may take a time or to to see what you need to do.

Just leave it, unless your pouring a Pliny The Elder clone in there with a pound of hops. :p

You really don't have to strain at all! There is almost no benefit.

But if you want to, buy two paint strainers that fit 5 gallon buckets (in the paint section of a hardware store.)
I have only strained once. I think I will only do it when I brew beers with tons of hops. I would rather have the hops stay out of the beer once they have done their duty. The bottom layer of trub can really take up a lot of space if you add 4+ ounces of hops. All of that trub will take up space, and it will hold beer. I literally lost a gallon of beer when I racked to primary, to seconday, to bottling bucket...

I use a bucket fermenter, so I can put a big kitchen strainer over it and pour through. That takes a minute or two since I have to stop and dump the hop goo out of the strainer, but it works well. Lets the small stuff through but stops the bigger chunks. I can't imagine doing the same thing into a carboy.

If I were doing a carboy primary I'd probably depend more on the whirlpool method than trying to strain.

Back