Northern Brewer's 80/- kit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cheesefood

Reaction score
...is freakin' lousy. Maybe I just don't appreciate Scottish beers. Maybe it just truely does taste like crap. There's an imbalance between the hops and the malt. It just doesn't work. I'll drink it all, but I'm not brewing it again.

That's an interesting comment because I have used a lot of NB kits and really liked the results. I will be curious to see people's opinions as to the Scottish Ale and as you said - is it the beer style or the kit.:confused:

Cheesefood,

Go out and get a bottle of Belhaven Scottish Ale. It's pretty easy to find and comes in a single 500ml bottle so you're not stuck with a six-pack if you don't like it.

If you don't like it, you probably don't like the style because, while it is not the best in the world, it is a good example of the style.

I've never made the NB kit, so I don't know if it's indicative of other Scottish ales.

Cheesefood....DOOD!!!

Go out and find some Sprecher Piper Scotch Ale when you go find the Belhaven. It might be the style. A lot of folks don't like the smokey taste...I like it because it's refreshing and different.

And if you don't want your scotch ale homebrew I'll come pick it up...and keep the bottles!

You gotta like the malt to like the scotch ale. Scotch ales should be MALT>hops.

I mirror that last comment. . . don't throw it out, ship it out to us. I'd be glad to take it off your hands. :mug:

I expected malty, but this is still hoppy. I'll gladly send out bottles for trade if anyone is interested.

I think I just don't like Scottish ales. I didn't like the Sam Adam's Scotch Ale.

I need to bottle my Hefe soon. Then I can enjoy yummy hefe.

Cheesefood said:
I expected malty, but this is still hoppy. I'll gladly send out bottles for trade if anyone is interested.

I think I just don't like Scottish ales. I didn't like the Sam Adam's Scotch Ale.

The only thing I have to trade would be my scotch ale.. I'd like to give one of yours a try for comparison. Would you be willing to send me a bottle or two or three?

Cheesefood said:

It it seems too hoppy, or bitter, try plugging the kit recipe (available on NB's website) into ProMash and see what the IBU's are and if they fit within the parameters for the style (also listed in ProMash).

This may give you an idea whether or not the kit is actually true to style. Maybe it IS too hoppy, and therefore not just your tastes. :mug:

I had the opposite experience, zero hop flavor and just very bland over all. I must have messed something up though, their fat tire clone was excellent. Not sure what went wrong for me, but it was subpar scotch ale. I like rail bender, bell have, highlands, etc.

Let it sit for 2-3 months in the bottle. then try it again.:mug:

If you still dont like it you can ship it to me. Ill compare it to mine. Brewed that same beer a coupple of months ago.

Back