Best kit to convert a 5 gal cooler with false bottom?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ericd

Reaction score
I want to convert a 5 gallon rubbermaid cooler to a mash tun with a false bottom. What's the best kit to do this? I was looking at these: NORTHERN BREWER: Weldless Fittings are they any good (besides buying the false bottom seperately)?

Pssst......hey, bud:

Use a ten-gallon cooler. You'll be glad you did.

To answer your Q's, I got my false bottom from Northern Brewer and the rest of the parts came from the local hardware store. Works fine.

Well I already have a 5 gallon one and two 5 gallon stockpots and stuff...don't really want to do bigger volumes right now.

Anyway, I just want something I can buy that comes with everything, all the parts already so I don't have to go hunting. Been there, done that, tried putting one toether with stuff from walmart and home depot, not happy with it.

Well I already have a 5 gallon one and two 5 gallon stockpots and stuff...don't really want to do bigger volumes right now.

Anyway, I just want something I can buy that comes with everything, all the parts already so I don't have to go hunting. Been there, done that, tried putting one toether with stuff from walmart and home depot, not happy with it.

for my 5 gallon igloo coolers i did the conversion used in the DIY section for mash tun used all the same parts with extra rubber washers and it works great. got the parts from lowes. as for my kettle ball valve i ordered from bargain fittings great place to order from if your wanting everything together and don't have to serach for each piece

heres the link https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/cheap-easy-10-gallon-rubbermaid-mlt-conversion-23008/

5 gallon coolers are nice but don't get your heart set on using large grain bails for high-gravity beers... If you can find one a ten gallon cooler is sweet....

If you are going to be doing five gallon AG batches, you'll need stock pots that are bigger than 5 gallons (or you are going to be splitting batches and boiling in two pans).

Five gallon will work but you might as well save the money now and go directly to a 10 G cooler.

You know you will eventually anyway.

I can see it now....

You'll get sick of having split boils and will find a great deal on a keggle/stockpot/turkey fryer.

Suddenly, 5 G of Barleywine sounds like a great idea or a 10G batch would be great to building the pipeline.

Ooops, 5G cooler too small. Time to go rebuy the false bottom and another cooler.

Spend the money upfront and you'll not have to buy another $30 false bottom for the larger cooler.

Back