Expanding to 2 kegs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

farny

Reaction score
Hello,
I got my first keg a couple weeks ago and love it. I want to have beer always on tap so I figure I need another keg so one can be carbing while the other is serving (quite a bit of consumption at this college house). My theory was that I could have a T off of the regulated line and have one side go to the higher pressure keg while the other will go to a secondary regulator that goes to the lower pressure keg. I was thinking just one of those cheap regulators used for common compressed air systems since pressures wont be ever above 30.

I dont want to blow the bank with a dual regulator off of my tank. Just looking for a cost effective way of adding another keg.

Thanks for the input :mug:

If you really want two different pressures going to kegs, you're better off, IMO/IME, getting a dual body regulator. You also want to use regulators/gauges designed for CO2, not air compressors.

If you need to go low cost, then just get a manifold, install that inside the kegorator/keezer/etc. and use that to feed both kegs the same pressure. Use the two weeks at serving pressure and temperature carbonation method. You'll spend less AND get easy carbonation. The rapid forced carbonation method is full of pitfalls for many. I don't use it, and probably never will. Far more reliable to do the two week method.

BTW, get more kegs.

If I were to make one Id get a brass ball valve plus check valve on each line. Not sure if that is price worthy over just buying: 2 way gas manifold It look expandable... am I right?

More kegs definitely sounds good. Someday... Pricing it out looks to be around 110 dollars to add another keg. I suppose thats not too bad.

IMO/IME, this is a better option... MFL fittings on the manifold means it won't matter what the ID of the hose is. I have one of the Keg Connection 2 port and one 3 port manifolds in my brew fridge. Works great.

I agree with Golddiggie. I've had both types - the check valves on the one you linked OP are cheap and led to a regulator accident for me way back when. I use the second type now and it's much better for the same price. As was mentioned the MFL fittings are nice, and handy for when I want to hook up my beer gun.

I just use the one CO2 line for both kegs. I had one keg fully carbonated so it did not need to have the gas line attached while I carbonated the second keg. If I served from the already carbonated keg, I just reattached the gas line and "topped off" that keg. I then put the line back on the keg that was carbonating. So far this has worked fine.

I just use the one CO2 line for both kegs. I had one keg fully carbonated so it did not need to have the gas line attached while I carbonated the second keg. If I served from the already carbonated keg, I just reattached the gas line and "topped off" that keg. I then put the line back on the keg that was carbonating. So far this has worked fine.

IMO, that's more work than you need to do. It's also more opening/closing of the brew fridge/kegorator/keezer/etc. Manifolds are not expensive and completely eliminate needing to do that.

Latest posts

Back