Another sweetness question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikefromMichigan

Reaction score
I have been extract brewing for about 18 months now and all of my brews have been ales, as that is what I prefer and I am happy to say that I have enjoyed all of them, especially now that I keg them. When I was living in London ( some 30 years ago) my favorite London beer was Fullers ESB. What I liked about Fullers ESB is that to me it tasted a little bit sweeter than most others bitters. I am not trying to recreate Fullers ESB, but is there a way to add a little bit of sweetness to my ales, maybe by adding different specialty grains or different hops. Below is my most recent brew, so what ingredients could I include or change to add sweetness to the brew?

Malt syrup
3.15 lbs Gold malt syrup
6 lbs Gold malt syrup late addition (15 min)
SPECIALTY GRAIN
0.25 lbs English Extra Dark Crystal
0.25 lbs Fawcett Pale Chocolate
0.125 lbs Belgian Biscuit malt Fermentables
HOPS
1.75 oz UK Kent Goldings (90 min) 0.25 oz UK Kent Goldings (15 min)
YEAST
Wyeast 1728 Scottish Ale. Ideally.

Thanks
Mike

Increasing the crystal would make a big difference in the level of sweetness. Or mixing up the crystal, too.

Dark crystal has a toffee/raisiny character, while lighter crystal malts have more of a caramel sweetness. You could add .5 pound of 20L crystal (or the British equivalent, which would be more in style) and that would bring about some perceptible sweetness. If you want more toffee/raisin, more dark crystal would be the ticket. I like to use both, as a "layer" of crystal seems to give greater depth of flavor.

Back