Is Cider naturally gluten free?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ncowling

Reaction score
originally posted under Gluten Free thread, but thought this might be an appropriate spot--

I am brewing my first hard cider for the holidays. I have a friend with celiac disease, and would love her to be able to enjoy this.

For this recipe, I only used Zeigler's Apple Cider (confirmed with a company spokesperson, the only ingredient is apples, no potassium sorbate) and WL Cider Yeast. No additional sugars during fermentation. I plan on using priming sugar during bottling for carbonation.

Thanks for the feedback.

I'm not entirely sure about the rest, but you may want to look into priming your bottles with additional juice rather than sugar, otherwise you may lose your gluten free status.

Sugar is sugar they do not utilize Gluten with sugar unless it has some weird additives on te box. You're good. BUT most of the yeast's that you buy are started in a wheat solution. The one company that has Gluten free yeast and actually states it on the packaging is the Wyeast brand. Not all of them are Gluten free but some are. And they state it on the package. I did some research a while back. There are other companies as well, but I can't find my list. I have Celiac disease also. It's fun....

Yes, cider is GF unless you add something with gluten. Nottingham yeast is GF according to the package.

I think gluten intolerance is for the grass grains. Wheat, rye, barley. I don't think an apple juice qualifies. You should be safe.

White Labs yeasts are not GF, apples are. You can write to WL and ask if the cider/wines yeasts are an exception, but I don't see anything on their site to that effect.

I thought Wyeast 1272 (American Ale II) was gluten free, but I don't see it in the description anymore.

Back