DOHHH... Idophor into fermenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

captainL

Reaction score
Lesson learned. Cheap vodka next time. As I was moving the bucket it compressed and released air. When I set it back down it sucked some of my idophor solution from my airlock into the fermenter. (I was lifting the bucket up high and pushed on the bottom of the fermentor)

I searched a ton on here and all I can find is to use vodka or star san. But, what are my chances of salvaging this. It has been 8 hours and no signs from the airlock.

Should I give it 24 hours and then try re-pitching some yeast.

Or is the idophor going to mess up some flavors.

Champagne yeast for apfelwein, I know this is kind of the wrong board, but there seams to be more people here and its a general brewing question.

Thanks

Mike

You should be fine. It was only a tiny amount... and it was from a diluted solution right? It should take a few hours anyway to start fermenting anyway... All should be well. But yes, use vodka! Also, each time you fill the airlock, you have to take a swig of the vodka, or you'll have a bad batch!!! <---true story

You should be fine. It was only a tiny amount... and it was from a diluted solution right? It should take a few hours anyway to start fermenting anyway... All should be well. But yes, use vodka! Also, each time you fill the airlock, you have to take a swig of the vodka, or you'll have a bad batch!!! <---true story

that little shouldn't hurt. noon, is that like a voodoo thing? :cross:

if you have to take a swig... how cheap do you want it to be :cross:

There's nothing wrong with that. You spilt a few milliliters into a multiple gallon batch. You won't experience/notice ANYTHING.

And you're doing Apfelwein? That's not really a vigorous fermentation like beer is. On mine I didn't even really see much activity. Wait a few days, it will start smelling really bad. I had a batch in my bedroom closet and I have to move it, it smells like someone farting out apple juice.

Edit: Cliche, but this is truly a RDWHAHB type scenario :mug:

There's nothing wrong with that. You spilt a few milliliters into a multiple gallon batch. You won't experience/notice ANYTHING.

And you're doing Apfelwein? That's not really a vigorous fermentation like beer is. On mine I didn't even really see much activity. Wait a few days, it will start smelling really bad. I had a batch in my bedroom closet and I have to move it, it smells like someone farting out apple juice.

Edit: Cliche, but this is truly a RDWHAHB type scenario :mug:

that smell is referred to as rhino farts, for some reason :ban:

I have sucked in like a cup or more of Iodophor solution from my blowoff catcher into my carboy when crash cooling before, and I freaked out, but couldn't taste it at all. I can tell especially because I was doing two of the same exact beer side by side, and can't tell the difference between them. Same OG, same FG, substantially the same flavor.

Back