Quick Disconnect Coupling to whirlpool chiller arm

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pleepleus

Reaction score
OK, so I purchased the Wort Chiller Recirculation Arm from Morebeer, which comes with a hose clamp setup to connect the tubing to. However, I would like to put a permanent coupling for my quick disconnects one there. How would I go about this? I have this male coupling from McMasterCarr, but lack the basic soldering skills or even a soldering kit of any kind. I'm not against trying soldering, but not really sure what I would need to get that coupling onto the bare copper tubing.

Any help is greatly appreciated as always!!

I don't know what diameter that tube is, but you can get copper fittings at Lowe's or Home Depot that are female threaded on one side and meant for soldering on the other. Very possible that they will have one that is exactly the right size to fit on the tube and allow your quick connect to screw in. This will require soldering (It's actually really easy to do.)

It'll look like this:
female_adapter.jpg

The other option would be to get a compression fitting. No soldering needed, but more expensive. It'll have a couple of brass pieces that will allow you to basically convert the end of your tube into a threaded pipe fitting. Here's a picture of one:
base_media

This will give you male threads, so you would need a coupling to then attach your quick connect. I think you can probably find compression fittings that provide a female threaded end.

Sweet. That is exactly what I had pictured in my head, but had no idea if such a thing existed. Thanks man, off to Lowes!

Sweet. That is exactly what I had pictured in my head, but had no idea if such a thing existed. Thanks man, off to Lowes!

Take your tube and quick connect with you to make sure you get the right parts!

(I'm going to wait for the "How does this compression fitting work!?" question next.... :D)

Haha, yeah the compression fitting really mystified me when I was installing the sight-glass on my HLT and BK. Not sure if I want to go that route here though, I like the idea of finally getting some hands on experience with soldering anyway.

don't fear the soldering. I did it myself for the first time just a few weeks ago, and ot was for a good sized project. I ended up making close to 40 soldered connections for that task and only one of them had a leak and had to be redone.

don't fear the soldering. I did it myself for the first time just a few weeks ago, and ot was for a good sized project. I ended up making close to 40 soldered connections for that task and only one of them had a leak and had to be redone.

As long as you clean the area to be soldered really well, you won't have any issues.

@Walker..., 1 out of 40. Sounds about right.:D

Back