Brewing and Boots

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do you wear brewing boots

• Yes, it is the required uniform.

• No, but I should

• No, only faeries wear boots.

• cmdr Taco wears boots.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Reaction score
I took a poll on twitter and most homebrewers don't wear them. many go barefoot or wear flip flops.

Most of the time I brew on the pool deck and so I go barefoot or wear Keen's which is very little protection at all.

At various points in the brewday you are working with fire, hot liquids, electricity glass and heavy objects. Often you are drinking too.

Boots, do you wear them or no?
Should you.

I don't wear boots. But I usually do wear some kind of full foot shoe.

I'd rather brew in flip flops or my sandals but they are wicked slippery on the garage floor when wet.

I should prolly wear underwear too but, that's a different poll.

I've always been a fan of wearing "closed-toe" shoes when around hot liquids/items in the kitchen...but I'm sure I've been guilty of being barefoot/flip flops around that.

I hate to admit it, but I brew barefoot most of the time. If it's really, really cold, I'll wear my adorable sheepskin lined suede slippers. I also never wear safety glasses when I use power tools, and I don't wear gloves when I use chemicals. I'm a rebel!

I hate to admit it, but I brew barefoot most of the time. If it's really, really cold, I'll wear my adorable sheepskin lined suede slippers. I also never wear safety glasses when I use power tools, and I don't wear gloves when I use chemicals. I'm a rebel!

You did once name yorur brewery Broken Leg. I hope you don't have to rename it. ;)

no boots, no shoes, no shirt usually, sometimes sandles.

I splashed some boiling water on my chest and arm a few brews ago so I am rethinking the shirt thing though.

I went with the /. response myself... but I usually brew in my Birkenstocks like a hippie on my back porch.

Depends on the time of year. Summertime, probably tennies. But brewing outside in January when the temp drops below zero, then I go for my winter boots. And Carhartts.

I do, and when I have people brew I want them to have them as well. Here is what I wear...

http://www.shoesforcrews.com/sfc3/i...=c_store.viewDetailsOfProduct&partnumber=5004

Nice!

Do they go up high enough?

and...

art_bulletblue.gif
12" Boot Ideal for Cleanup Crews
art_bulletblue.gif
Extra Wide Toe Box for Additional Comfort
art_bulletblue.gif
Featherlight, Durable EVA Construction
art_bulletblue.gif
Self-Massaging Insole
art_bulletblue.gif
Vegan

Vegan!!!?

When I was brewing at Rio Grande I learned to wear boots the hard way. I wore Tevas and the straps got caustic water spilt on them, which proceeded to slowly eat away the flesh on my feet. I ended up with some amazing teva shaped burns on my feet. Home Depot sells boots for dirt.

Now I am not wearing boots, but I should. I have some brewing clothes because my wife was tired of me ruining my other clothes while brewing, so why not get the boots as well?

Nice!

and...

art_bulletblue.gif
art_bulletblue.gif
art_bulletblue.gif
art_bulletblue.gif
Self-Massaging Insole
art_bulletblue.gif
Vegan

Vegan!!!?

Never noticed that. I can assure you, I may be a metrosexual, but I aint no stinkin vegan! I have to draw the line somewhere. And yes, I wear them all day. Very comfortable.

I do closed toed shoes, but I should probably wear boots. Being around lots of boiling wort isn't exactly safe if there is a spill.

Nice!

and...

art_bulletblue.gif
art_bulletblue.gif
art_bulletblue.gif
art_bulletblue.gif
Self-Massaging Insole
art_bulletblue.gif
Vegan

Vegan!!!?

Sorry I didn't see this before..... funny.
I like to wear boots, I don't usually except in the winter. Not usually while I'm making beer (hiking boots maybe)
No, I'm not a vegan. I don't believe in it.
I am a vagitarian, will be for life.
I make beer.

Veganism is a diet and lifestyle that seeks to exclude the use of animals for food, clothing, or any other purpose.[1][2] Vegans endeavor not to use or consume animal products of any kind.[3] The most common reasons for becoming a vegan are ethical commitment or moral conviction concerning animal rights, the environment, human health, and spiritual or religious concerns.[2][4][5] Of particular concern to many vegans are the practices involved in factory farming and animal testing, and the intensive use of land and other resources for animal farming.

Vegan = PETA (not People Eating Tasty Animals)

A valid point.

I brew on the back porch and am always in and out through the dining room and kitchen. SWMBO doesn't like that. I'd rather risk a burnt foot than an angry SWMBO.

Most of the time I try to use my slip on full toed shoes, but I've done the sandal thing too.

Tennis shoes for me. Though I'm probably guilty of having a brain fart and worn flip flops in the past.

I tend to always wear boots anyway.

My everyday pair have cracked in the sole, however, and I've been forced to wear sneakers to work. I'm dying a little inside.

Veganism is a diet and lifestyle that seeks to exclude the use of animals for food, clothing, or any other purpose.[1][2] Vegans endeavor not to use or consume animal products of any kind.[3] The most common reasons for becoming a vegan are ethical commitment or moral conviction concerning animal rights, the environment, human health, and spiritual or religious concerns.[2][4][5] Of particular concern to many vegans are the practices involved in factory farming and animal testing, and the intensive use of land and other resources for animal farming.

Vegan = PETA (not People Eating Tasty Animals)

Yes, I understand that, thanks for the advertisement.
I said I don't believe in it. I didn't say I was not aware.
I also said I'm a vagitarian. If you don't get that, then there is no explanation that would suffice.

IF that wasn't aimed at my response, then ignore this one. Thanks.

flip flops on occasion, but usually lace up and old pair of gortex northface shoes. I spill stuff on my feet quite a bit so they keep me dry. I think I might buy a pair of knee high rubber boots. My neighbors will think I'm up to something weird in the back yard.

I usually wear something like these:

fuzzyboots.jpg

Occasionally I spill some wort, but then my dog crawls up through a mysteriously open manhole and licks it up. I bottle in gas cans because drinking from gas cans makes you more badass.

Ok, obscure rock band references/REALLY bad jokes aside, I don't wear boots when brewing. I do wear closed toe shoes, and I'm very conscious of the hazards associated with brewing beer (especially when brewing and consuming slightly overlap).

Yes, I understand that, thanks for the advertisement.
I said I don't believe in it. I didn't say I was not aware.
I also said I'm a vagitarian. If you don't get that, then there is no explanation that would suffice.

IF that wasn't aimed at my response, then ignore this one. Thanks.

It wasnt, I will....

tennis shoes in the summer, gonna have to pull the boots out for this winter though

Normal footwear for me. Nothing special.

BTW, If "your mom wears boots" was an option I would have picked that.

Back