Oatmeal Stout from 1.064 to 1.010 in 5 days

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mainebrew

Reaction score
Wow, this thing went off like a lion and settled like a boid. I will soon need to fill some space in the kegerator and am wandering to throw this in the secondary to clear a bit or let it go one more week in the primary and keg it!

Watcha Think?

:mug:

I never clear my stouts... they are black... I cant tell if they are clear or not. Can you??

Remember fining is not just for appearance, it also helps with flavor as you get a much cleaner taste.

Eastside

Well, I'll let you know after I clear this one in Primary.

I had a Strong Dark that I cleared and the diff was signifigant. Mostly, I do it because I am a very slow drinker and I would hate to find a stale keg because I didn't clear it.

Meh. Gelatine is cheap.

Let it sit. I've had beers go down much faster than that, but I always let them sit for a while. It will probably help, and it CERTAINLY won't hurt.

Seriously though what yeast did you use? Nottigham aka the Beast? I recently pitched an Amercian Stout onto a Nottingham cake and it was blowing out the top 40 minutes later! It also tends to floculate heavily reducing the need for a secondary. I also add moss to all and every brew, wheats included. I assume the presipitation process affects flavor as well as apearance, as more trub is out of solution.

Back