Flying Solo

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cpt_Kirks

Reaction score
Brewing a new cherry wheat right now, this is the first time without using a kit. I came up with a recipe on tastybrew.com.

1.5 lb 2 row American
1.0 lb white wheat
0.5 lb pale wheat
0.25 lb toasted 2 row American

6 lb Wheat LME
1 lb corn sugar

1 oz Hallertau 4% (60 min)

Danstar Munich German Wheat Beer Yeast

Gonna give it a couple of weeks on primary, then rack on top of some canned, frozen (and if I can get them) fresh cherries, probably about 6 lbs total.

Busy weekend. I kegged two batches and brewed two batches (Alt and Cherry Wheat). SWMBO and the boys are at the inlaws.

Good luck on your solo flight. I'm sure it will come out great.
Sounds like you are having a nice weekend in the brewing arena.

If you want to really get a lot of cherry flavor into the beer, then blend the cherries up before racking onto them. This will really impart a lot of cherry flavor into the beer. If you do that be sure to pour the blended cherries into a hop sack to avoid lots of cherry parts in the final beer.

From what I've read, putting the cherries in a blender is a no-no, you get too much shredded peel and tannins. I'm just going to mash them with a potato masher.

Back